Long Term Investments In The ROI?

wexfordcoco

I was wondering what is the best (and easiest to manage) long term investment (around 18 years) for a person living in the ROI given tax issues and available solutions in Ireland.

I had looked at property abroad (leaseback France) but have decided after much research it may not be the easiest to manage in the long run and maybe something as easy as buying shares may well meet my needs better. I don’t really have time to manage this, and I won’t be buying and selling, just investing long term in a good stable company.

I would be interested to hear your thoughts, and would welcome any direction in the long term share market in Ireland. (Which company to invest with, Goodbody, Sharwatch etc - and also what shares for long term safe investments, AIB, Tesco, Dell etc)

and also what shares for long term safe investments, AIB, Tesco, Dell etc)

One strategy often outlined is to buy the "top 10" ISEQ shares and sit on them other than rebalancing the mix as and when required. Basically it's like a roll your own index tracker. An alternative would be to simply invest in a low charges unit linked or tracker fund linked to whatever shares/assets you are interested in.

Appreciate that you don't give individual share tips - it is more of a general question in that, is investing in the shares of the big boys a good long term (18 year) safe (ish) investment. And the other question was related to, who should I buy these shares from, given that I won't be "share dealing" on-line every week. I just really want to buy them and let the dice roll for 18 years!
Thanks

How much are you considering investing. It might be worth having a look at the following thread:

http://www.askaboutmoney.com/showthread.php?t=20916&highlight=summit+funds[/url

The New Ireland offering looks best if you are considering investing for an 18 year timeframe. The upfront charge of €200 will be recouped quite quickly with the differences in the annual management charge between this and Quinn Life's funds. For example, the following are the timeframes when the initial charge will be recouped based on varying investment levels:

• €5k - 10.7 years,
  • €10k - 5.3 years,
  • €20k - 2.7 years,
  • €50k - 1.1 years,
  • €100k - 0.4 years.
If you have €100k or greater to invest you will save the €200 initial charge within months because of the reduced rates on the AMC offered by New Ireland. However, even if you have only €5k to invest, this should be a better option than Quinn Lifes' over an 18 year timescale.

View the following website for more details about the funds they offer:

With a time frame of 18 years i'd look for something 'green' to invest in.

Back