Long Delay in Distributing To Beneficiaries after Property Sold....Is This Ok?

Revenue state
If no contact is received from Revenue in the defined period
In this case contact has been received, ie they requested a Form 12.

The 35 days window refers to the Requests for clearance in death cases, not to the processing and resolution of queries thereafter.

I am executor of the will of a relation , property sold and probate granted , I have been informed of ever event by the solicitor . However revenue are the reason for non distribution of assets:
Revenue still insisted on a tax return for the previous 3 years.
This is where the fun started.
Prior to the death I looked after the person's tax affairs via the persons "my account " portal on the revenue site.
However once death notified I was unable to access this site -advised to contact revenue via phone.

Phone line open Mon to Fri 0930 to 1230. after several attempts you are allowed on a queue average wait time 15 minutes.
While waiting in queue you are advised that it is much quicker and efficient to do your business on line!!!
Eventually answered and advised that even though revenue had all the necessary information, the 3 form 12s must be submitted via post before a tax clearance certificate can be issued.
Now the fun started . :
Revenue replied to the dead person's tax account which of course I could not access . another 40 minute phone call.
Eventually advised less than €300 owed -paid immediately by solicitor .
Certificate then sent again to dead person's account .
Another 20 minute phone call advised --will be sent to my address, gave name and address . guess what ? sent again to dead person's account.

Yet another 35 minute phone call . Having paid the tax almost a month ago , the solicitor is still waiting for the tax clearance certificate.

Why do revenue persist in sending correspondences to a dead person's accounts which cannot be accessed.

Last edited:
Back