Lockdown home improvements

DeeKie

We have been doing a fair bit of gardening but I feel we lack inspiration and ambition. What home improvements have you been doing during lockdown?

Decluttering, have been to the dump and clothes banks numerous times.

Have also sold many items on Done Deal including two bicycles that have not been used for years, they were gone in less than 2 hours.

Lots of gardening maintenance and a bit of new planting, painting both inside and out, bit of garden woodwork, I had timber delivered and half of it is still sitting there as the past week has not been conducive to working outside. Intend making a couple of obelisks for two big planters I made :)

Decluttering is my next plan as soon as it's easy enough sell stuff and have people collect or meet them. Realistically I have no work for the rest of the year other than few days in November.

Does home-schooling count? I didn’t do anything like painting, probably the most obvious DIY job. Mainly because of the home-schooling and not having the chance to have a proper run at it.

The garden shed did get a revamp though. New floor, new window panes, a paint job and the guttering adjusted to maximise rainwater collection.

I had already dug up some of the driveway and planted trees there in January. A half tonne bag worth of seaweed I’d collected in February finally got spread around. And I riddled about a tonne of topsoil and spread and graded that. Covered that ground with weed barrier and a layer of bark. The leftover stones from the riddling got re-used elsewhere to fill some potholes.
Oh, and I made a new riddle. The old one was about ten years old and the mesh beginning to break.

I’d intended to hire a digger as I’m laying kerbing between the reclaimed driveway area and the old driveway. But with the hire shops closed I went manual, shovel and pick. Still haven’t put in the kerbing but at least there’s a trench dug for the concrete foundations.

Those were the bigger jobs. As the weather has been good I only did a few small jobs indoors. Some small electrical jobs (e.g. added some sockets the USB outlets) and plumbing jobs (e.g. fixed leaking toilet cistern).

My pickup’s CVRT was postponed due to C19 giving me time to repair broken tail lights, wing mirrors and mud flap. As I was at it I made a few modifications to the trailer.

Apparently there’s “a lockdown thing” where people have great intentions to do DIY, or read books, but because of the pandemic/lockdown are experiencing a lethargy instead. I’ve had plenty of these moments and was halfway through three books when I got the virus in March and haven’t picked them up since.

Apparently there’s “a lockdown thing” where people have great intentions to do DIY, or read books, but because of the pandemic/lockdown are experiencing a lethargy instead.
Whew, so I'm not the only one !!! In Jan and Feb I went through lots of paint, caulk and sealant etc on decorating. However, lethargy has really set in and I've never slept so much in my life. Just thinking about doing something makes me tired. It's weird.

Whew, so I'm not the only one !!! In Jan and Feb I went through lots of paint, caulk and sealant etc on decorating. However, lethargy has really set in and I've never slept so much in my life. Just thinking about doing something makes me tired. It's weird.

Same here. I was starting to think that there was something wrong with me!

I've done a bit of de-cluttering and painting, but still have lots more to do. Just need the energy now!

Last edited:
That, and vivid dreams, apparently. Another “lockdown thing”.
I’ve never had so many dreams where my late parents have featured.
And a handful of recurring dreams.
And judging by all the scrapes and dings I’m getting on the bodywork of my pickup, I’ll soon be winning a demolition derby.

You need be kept busy to make you make the most of the free time in fairness!

I suffered from that too for a while, found it hard to achieve anything some days so ended up making a deal with myself that I only had to accomplish one job per day, some days then I might get more than one done and be delighted :)

demolition- taking a sledge to a few things was great therapy and getting a skip in was as well. Painting more or less done now as well.

I have got the house painted, the fence painted, visited the landfill with a large trailer load of rubbish from cleaned out sheds. Herbs , tomatoes and raspberries have been coming on nicely with the hot weather and some of them happy now with the rain. Getting out golfing now that the 20km now allowed , so happy enough..

I have been in many houses and I cannot remember have ever seen cables tidy behind a TV. That includes my own.

Back