Local property tax valuation when home cannot be purchased

Puzzled.com

Hi,

I have a question but can't find a number to call revenue and ask them directly.
LPT is "The tax you pay is based on the market value of the property on the valuation date." (Found on citizensinformation.ie) In the section Valuing your property, it states "The tax is based on the chargeable value of a residential property on the valuation date. The chargeable value is defined as the market value that the property could reasonably be expected to be sold for on the open market on the valuation date."

Two-three years ago I tried to sell my house. All went well until my solicitor asked me was my home was semi-detached. (It's a detached bungalow). This is when we discovered part of my land and home are unregistered. So the back bedroom and part of the living room and on the unregistered land. The buyers of course pulled out and I have been here since.

After months of research, this has not changed. I have been onto PRAI and they have confirmed after months of emails that it is not their error but can't help further than that. The solicitor I used at the time won't talk to me unless I have a solicitor present, which I cannot afford. (Massive red flag there and I have proof they knew less than a year after purchase but failed to inform me, 2008) Many trips into the Registry of Deeds looking up previous sellers and also showed nothing. I have been told it can be fixed for 3-4K, via squatter's rights but I don't have that money.

So based on the fact that I can't sell my home, how do I get the value of it? As the chargeable value is based on how much it would be expected to sell for on the open market. Which in my case is zero.

I'm not trying to get away with paying it, I have always paid it. I just found that they have jumped me into a much higher bracket and I think this is an unfair valuation.

Aside from that, they suggest using the property price register which is great if you live in a town or an estate. But try to live in an area that has the same name as four others in the same county you live in. It's extremely hard. I found one that sold for 435k on 3.5 acres and is massive. Not comparable to mine at all.

Any advice? Does anyone have a number for LPT department?

Thank you

Well then I guess it's worth its open market price less €3k-€4k.
But it's based on the sale price and in this case it cannot be sold. A buyer's solicitor will not permit this because of the unregistered section.
It's just not as simple as you imply, "well then I guess it's worth its open market price less €3k-€4k." You are implying they can buy it at market value less the cost of fixing the issue. 3-4k. That's if a solicitor would even entertain this. However, they would have to live in the house for 12 years before they can apply for squatter's rights. Then there is a period of time after the 12 years that the home cannot be sold for.

I have sympathy with you . It’s a stressful situation. However , in my opinion , you are overthinking this .

You know what the market value of the house would be if this issue didn’t exist - you know this from the attended sale. If this situation can be solved with some legal fees, then the house is sellable . There are thousands of houses in this country which have some legal issues to be solved before a sale can be completed - planning , houses where the house was inherited but not legally transferred etc .

If you ended to sell badly enough , could you not get a CU loan until it sold.

IMO, it is simple . Value is at the sale price or a bit below . The LPT bands are large
Enough . Unless the sale price was right at the bottom of a band, it should be easy .

Back