Local election misuse of Dáil privileges?

G

On Friday I received a personally addressed letter from FF canvassing on behalf of Marguerite Fitzpatrick who is a new (non sitting) candidate for the local elections. This letter originated from Bertie's Drumcondra HQ, "St. Luke's", and was sent in a pre-paid/franked officiall "Oireachtas Éireann" envelope. Surely it is a misuse of Dáil privileges to use Oireachtas postage and stationery to canvass in this way? If so who should I complain to about this matter?

Re.Local election misuse of Dáil privileges?

So what?
In the greater scheme of things does it matter?

If it's misuse of taxation funded Dáil privileges then I think it does matter. Can anybody tell me if this actually IS the case?

Not sure if it is a misuse, but I'm sure a call to the Dail switchboard and asking for the relevant office (procedures & protocols comes to mind, or is that the UK ?) should help.

Unless they are on 4 months holidays already.

z

Our local Green TD sent me a letter asking me to vote for the Green local election candidate, so it must be ok.

Brendan

:lol Actually, I was specifically referring to NON sitting representatives having election material sent in Oireachtas pre-paid/free envelopes.

Hi Brendan

Why do you assume that Chemical Cuffe & co are automatically in the right on this one? :) Is poor Bertie not entitled to the benefit of the doubt as well ;)

Ah sure they're all it, so it must be OK.
Where have we heard that before?

Brendan I'm shocked.

On one thread you promote the Irish Skeptics Society and on this one you sound as naive as a Sinn Fein leader talking about IRA membership.

These erratic mood swings area an ominous sign.

-Rd

Just heard (and saw) a big advertising truck driving around blaring out about voting number 1 for some guy called Royston.

My understanding of the regulations is that canvassing cannot take place within 50 meters of a polling place, so I guess as long as he keeps away he *might* be OK.

However, I think it is a poor show from the point of view of the current informal moratorium on candidates canvassing directly in the 24 hours coming up to an election date. It is only informal and it is voluntary, but still . . .

z

> My understanding of the regulations is that canvassing cannot take place within 50 meters of a polling place

I thought that the canvassing "cordon sanitaire" extended to 100m?

[broken link removed]

Hmm, interesting link.

The man in the franchise section of the department of Environment and all sorts of other things said it was within 50 meters, but it looks like the Electoral Act says otherwise.

It's interesting that the amended Act refers to "use or cause to be used any loud-speaker or other public address mechanism to broadcast matter relating to the election" - but not to using loudspeakers at a greater distance, but which can be heard within the 100m limit.

z

However, I think it is a poor show from the point of view of the current informal moratorium on candidates canvassing directly in the 24 hours coming up to an election date. It is only informal and it is voluntary, but still . . .

Especially given how strictly FF demended the moratorium be enforced yesterday, preventing Independant Radio Stations discussing Potential Strikes at Dublin Bus, and other "embarrassing" isues for the government.

The words Goose and Gander spring to mind.

-Rd

u can talk

ur leader and party pontificate about private schools
and your leader quietly sends his to private schools - what hypocrites

u can talk

> The words Goose and Gander spring to mind.

The word "goosestep" springs to mind at the mere mention of Michael McDowell!

> and your leader quietly sends his to private schools

I didn't know that Brendan had sprogs! He certainly kept that quiet!

u can talk

Never received even an acknowledgement in response to my emailed query to the SIPO commission (above). Don't really see how the issue I originally mentioned is materially different to this one?

www.rte.ie/news/2004/0624/election.html
Today, the Standards in Public Office Commission released its finding in his case, and that of Junior Minister Frank Fahey, who sent invitations to a party fundraiser on Government headed notepaper.

Back