Loan from Company to pay off Personal Loan Account

oaky8

i'm a director of a relatively cash rich company and took 50k out of it in feb '06 to close a personal bridging loan bank account. i have now reimbursed the company with the 50k (accountant told me to get the monies back in the company before the end of the year) so i avoided bank interest for about 9 months.(which could have been 2k for talk sake) i did this by taking out another personal bridging loan for 100k in nov '06. I also take out 1k a month from the company to pay a personal mortgage so thats 12k annually so if i take out 12k from the remaining 50k in my bridging loan account and put it back in the company account will this reduce my personal tax bill. I entered the 50k and 1k per month as directors salary so if i pay it back it would not be earnings if u know what i mean. Hope u can grasp all that. I dont think im breaking any laws is it financial sense guys. And for talk sake if i took out another 25k throughout the year as directors salary and reimbursed it to the company in effect i would not have earned anything so no tax to pay. Just have to pay the bank back of course.. i can pay the bank from horse winnings which is tax free so im in a good position i think ...(the horse winnings would be my earnings and tax free so am i tax free till the horse stops winning money)... Also i have just paid pre tax for 2006 of 8000 so i would get this back if i had no taxable earnings. Am i right ..

Loans from companies are subject to BIK. 4.5% for mortgage (housing) loans and 11% for other loans. See Revenue's Guide to Benefit in Kind. I have often found that accountants do not fully understand PAYE and PRSI tax, so be carefull.

Towger.

thanks for that reply. Yes i was just on to accountant and said there is a benefit in kind issue and will be uncovered if revenue does an audit. i avoided bank interest anyway so if i get caught for bik it will be roughly the same probably . but they have to catch me first.

Back