Life Loaded Life Assurance

C

cmal10

Hi

Quick question if anyone can help. Applied for life assurance and rang company today to see if it has been accepted. They had recieved a PMA from my doc, and also other info which they would not tell me over the phone. The policy has been loaded, HIGHLY, 125% to be precise, also again no reasons over the phone. They are sending me out a special terms letter and i can accept or decline. The girl on the phone said it was due to my medical requirements, of which i have none so that i cannot understand. I did however expect the policy to be loaded as i smoke, overweight and have elevated blood pressure on gp visits, which has now been confirmed as whitecoat hypertension. Would the loading be so high for these reasons?? Thanks.

Hi Cmal

What you outlined (smoker, high blood pressure & being over-weight) can effect a life application and will most likely end with a loading or a decline in some cases.
Your best bet is to call your GP - they can write to the CMO (Chief Medical Officer) of the life company - the CMO will then write back to your GP giving full details of the medical reasons why you were loaded.

Hiya,

i knew i would be loaded but did not think to the extent that is! Also Blood Pressure is White Coat, and doc has sent report on to them regarding this, have had 24hr BP Monitor on and bp has come back as normal. i will wait to see what special terms are, and then go back to doc as to what was on medical report. He seemed to think that it was fine what he sent and that it would be loaded but not by alot. Its for Mortgage and seems to be draggin out some time well over a month and a half now!

The quickest way is to phone the life assurance company and ask them to send a cmo letter to your gp. then you can discuss it with your gp.

If your broker phones the life company's underwriting team he might be able to wrangle some information out of them.

Yes, the loading can be VERY high due to your height-weight ratio, just because of all the problems that go with being overweight (heart disease, asthma and whatever else). I don't know whether they took your blood pressure reading into account but your gp will be able to advise you.

Smokers already pay higher premiums so usually will not receive an additional loading solely due to smoker status.

Back