Load Bearing Wall removed

dubdub123

Hey - just had survey completed and surveyor picked up that load bearing wall has been removed and we need cert of compliance etc from engineer.
It's unknown as to when this work was completed, so it may have been before current vendors purchased.

what if they can't source the certs required? Any other options? Wall has been removed to make kitching/dining room an open plan space.

Obviously my solicitor is following up on this, but I'd like some feedback based on experience. Panicking a bit now, but trying to keep the head to see if this issue can be resolved.

Can you check yourself if the joists have have been strengthened to accommodate for the bigger room, or maybe steel has been put in to do this? But if you're getting a mortgage they'll want the compliance cert.

The vendors will be able to engage an engineer who can provide an opinion on compliance that will satisfy the lenders. This is common enough.

Ok great thank you. Anything I should be concerned about or once certs available, all should be fine?
Want to make sure I dont misstep here. Thanks

If the work was done some time ago and an engineer can spot no sign of issues, and is happy to sign-off, there should be no concerns.

Great thanks, I presume the onus is on the sellers to arrange an engineer on their side, would that be right?
My engineer said he can review the certs alright, once available.
Would that seem reasonable?

Yes, that would be the standard approach. If they want to sell to anyone dependent on finance or anyone doing proper due diligence, the vendor will be required to provide that.

I've been on the vendor side of this.
Had added a small extension (when we hadn't planned to sell)
It was a straightforward job by a very reputable builder, but did involve opening up and adding a steel beam.
I never certified it at the time and had no engineer engaged during the work.

7 years later when selling, I tried a couple of engineers and they wouldn't certify without at least opening up. Talked to liability etc (apparently there was an ongoing case in the area where an engineer had certified some works without being onsite. Post house sale the ground floors had to be taken up and redone and he was sued)

Through a contact found an engineer (insured, qualified etc) who was willing to look at it and certify without opening up.

Back