Life and sickness insurance for housewife

Toby

I'd like to get some life and sickness insurance for myself in case I cannot mind my children for any reason. If this happened my husband would have to pay someone else to mind them or stop working himself to mind them. Any advice? Thanks.

Very true, you could certainly look at term insurance - but bear in mind following:-

- in the case of your death, your husband could claim a widower's pension based on his, or your, PRSI record - currently aroud €8,000 pa
- you may already have joint mortgage protection
- there could be savings in day to day expenses - with one less adult in the household, sorry that sounds very callous
- child minders, if required, may only be required for a few years until children are in 2ndary school

and on downside
- cost of child-minding
- cost of home help
- loss of tax credits

I think the IFSRA site had sample quotes for term cover ([broken link removed])
For example, € 250,000 for 26 year old female for 30 years is around €13pm - serious illness is more, maybe x 3)

Shop around
You need to look at the details and estimate amount of cover required - some would recommend a min of € 50, 000

Thanks JPD, only saw your reply now. I hadn't thought of some of the factors you mentioned so its useful. our mortgage broked has proven useless at providing advice and we are bogged down with other stuff so I haven't had time to sort out. Will look at the site though, Thanks again.

Back