Lidl video senders

ClubMan

Lidl (at least the Moore Street store) are doing 2.4GHz wireless A/V video senders (similar to some of the ones here) for €49.99 at the moment. They're not listed on their website. Got a pair yesterday and they work great to beam the VCR ourput to an upstairs TV (and also transmitting VCR remote control signals back to the VCR). Saves stringing co-ax cables around the house and allows the person upstairs to watch TV (or videos) via the VCR with full remote control while somebody downstairs can use the TV or DVD (or share the VCR of course) as the video source. Note that they work in the 2.4GHz band so if you use 802.11b/g networking gear or 2.4GHz cordless phones at the same time then you may need to juggle channels to avoid interference.

They were advertised a couple of weeks ago in the newsletter. Picked a set up last week and I can successfully beam audio and video from my laptop to our TV. Next step is to try an infra-red keyboard and/or mouse and try to control the laptop from the sitting room!

I think you should be able to turn this around and tune the set top box/TV output into my WinTV USB on the laptop.

Fun fun fun.

I don't suppose this thing can 'send' small-but-energetic children to sleep at night, can it..? :)

Depends on where you manage to clip them with it.

Clubman, are you spliting the signal coming out the back of your VCR? I.E. One split goes to the telly that it always went to, probably the one it is on the ground under ,with the other new split signal going to the Digisender?

Re: ..

Clubman, are you spliting the signal coming out the back of your VCR? I.E. One split goes to the telly that it always went to, probably the one it is on the ground under ,with the other new split signal going to the Digisender?

Yes. I am using the SCART adaptor provided with the video-senders (similar to [broken link removed]). The original SCART cable connecting the VCR and TV is plugged into the adaptor and the adaptor is plugged into the VCR's SCART socket. The adaptor includes an RCA output (red, white and yellow phono style leads) which splits the output from the VCR (or other device) for routing (via an RCA to S-Video conversion cable, similar to [broken link removed] but with only three RCA cables and possibly a different DIN connector) to the transmitting video-sender unit.

have used one of these (maplins version) in the kitchen for about 2 years or so. Taking signal off the back of the Cideo in the living room. No complaints at all until you do something mad like turn on the microwave; then the signal goes mad. Really annoying but overall a great product.

This sort of interference may occur with any other devices that use the 2.4GHz band (e.g. microwave ovens, 802.11b/g networking gear, some cordless phones etc.). It may be possible to check precisely what 2.4GHz frequency your microwave (e.g. check for technical details on a sticker on the back or underneath) and video-senders (for each of the four channels usually provided) use and then try configuring things (e.g. by switching the video-senders to another channel further away from the frequency used by the microwave oven) to minimise interference. Similarly, when using 802.11b/g networking judicious choice of channel/frequency can help minimise interference. Of course 802.11a gear (<= 54Mbps in the 5GHz band), where available and applicable, avoids all interference problems caused by 2.4GHz devices.

Will try that clubman. Knew the switches were there but never thought any more of it.

These will be on sale in [broken link removed] (16th December).

Edited by ClubMan to add link.

Lidl reduced theirs to €39.99 too when Aldi stocked theirs at that price. I went back and got a tenner refund on my original Lidl purchase at €49.99. :)

Was that a policy Lidl had clubman/ i thought if you buy something today and tis on price for half of it tomorrow then its just your own tough no?

Re: tenner refund?

Yeah, which store was it, Clubman?
(Mine is still unopened in box waiting for new telly in the January sales...)

Was that a policy Lidl had clubman/ i thought if you buy something today and tis on price for half of it tomorrow then its just your own tough no?

I've heard that Lidl have something similar to Argos's 16 (?) day no quibble money back guarantee if you return items unopened but I can't find anything on their website about this. You could try their [broken link removed] to check what their policy is in this context if necessary.

Yeah, which store was it, Clubman?
(Mine is still unopened in box waiting for new telly in the January sale

Moore Street.

Cheers, Clubman — I don't want to return it, just get the tenner back! ;)

Back