Lidl Language Course on CD?

Logo

I spotted a choice of French, German, Italian or Spanish intensive CDs x 4 (4 hour runtime) + coursebook & grammar table in Lidl for approx €8. I spend a good few hours in the car every week and I realise that I won't be a fluent French speaker at the end. Has anyone tried them or am I wasting my time? Thanks

Driving is hardly the place to take any kind of language course, good or bad. You need all your concentration on driving IMO.

Thanks for the info . I normally have Ivan Yates/ Mary Wilson/ Matt Cooper on in the background for news updates, entertainment etc. to keep me alert while driving. I was thinking that a language CD would provide a similar background noise.

Driving is hardly the place to take any kind of language course, good or bad. You need all your concentration on driving IMO.

I don't think I ever agreed with Mathepac but this time I don't agree with him either.

Listening to Language Learning CD's in a car while driving is an excellent way of learning a language. It's passive, takes little effort and fruitful. It was one of the ways in which I learnt to speak conversational Spanish some years ago. Keep listening to the CD's until you are speaking almost like the voice you hear.

Also, I used to listen to Radio Nacional de Espana late at night even on the crackly medium wave. You can access the station more easily now and have clear sound via the internet.

Another technique is to have Flashcards i.e words written on small pieces of paper/cardboard in English on one side and in the language you are learning on the other. Great to build vocabulary. The Usborne books are good for this too.

Google duolingo. A brilliant, free, language learning app.
Thanks for the tip but I had to chuckle at their advertising pitch lingo:
"Duolingo is a freemium language-learning platform ..."
That's definite car crash advertising.

Last edited:
Back