Letter from Spanish police asking about credit card use?

Mr. Flibble

I received the following letter by email asking for information on a customer to help track fraudlent use of a credit card.

Would I be breaking any data laws by giving out this information? Would I be best off to just ignore it?

1547v2c.png

This is a scam I would think. I would delete the email by putting in the spam box and emptying.
You should never provide such information through email.

Not sure if it's a scam.

But I wouldn't be releasing any customer information without a court order.

Seconded on the court order. Unless you get an Irish court order I would stay quiet.
The Data Protection Commissioner might have something to say about it.

Not sure if it's a scam either.

They should request this kind of information through Garda channels and not directly with an individual.

Exactly. They should be contacting the Gardaí who would then ask you for the information or obtain any necessary court orders.

It screams "scam" to me.

The question is how they got your details. One possibility is that a pickpocket got a transaction record along with a credit card: that would be slightly alarming. Another possibility is that you have transacted business online with this customer: that would be very alarming.

If you actually have contact details for this customer, I suggest you get in touch with him or her and report on this communication.

The email address in the letter looks genuine. It is on the domain of the Catalonia government.

The previous advice stands, do nothing until the Gardaí contact you.

I received the following letter by email asking for information on a customer to help track fraudlent use of a credit card.

Would I be breaking any data laws by giving out this information? Would I be best off to just ignore it?

1547v2c.png

I find it odd that a genuine enquiry would come via email and that it requests the reply to go only by email or fax ( no land mail communication )

Back