LETS (Local Exchange Trading Systems) - any experience?

ClubMan

I was passing through Moore Street last night and noticed a flyer about a proposal to set up a Local Exchange Trading System in the area. I was wondering if anybody on AAM had any direct experience of such a scheme? I worked with a bloke who was involved with one about 10 years ago but I was a bit dubious about the efficacy of it given that they seemed to have a surfeit of technical writers (including my colleague) and a dearth of genuinely useful expertise. I know that run a (commercial?) bartering system for businesses that looks similar but I was more interested in community/grassroots based schemes.

ClubMan - I was a LETS member for a couple of years and love the idea. They are essentially open to all and as you know the idea is to trade skills and services through a system of tokens (different groups use different names for their exchange tokens). If I can offer shiatsu massage, focused psychotherapy and carpentry work and sell wonderful apple-pies for 50p each others on the LETS network can contact me and arrange to use my services in these areas. I set the 'rate'. If I charge 3 kulks for an hour of shiatsu, 6 kulks per focused psychotherapy session and 10 kulks per carpentry job, if I give a shiatsu massage, see a person for an hour of therapy hang someone's new front door and sell 10 home-made apple-pies this week I am in credit by 24 kulks. Say I myself, in the same week, want organic produce from a LETS member's allotment, need my dog 'minded' whilst I go to the theatre one evening, and want my bathroom retiled I contact LETS members on the list who offer these services and they set their 'rate'. If I have sufficient 'kulks' accumulated I can get my veggies, have the dog minded and the retiling done. The beauty of the idea is its an exchange system bypassing the mainstream money-system. Nobody in the LETS network needs to have money to have things done or get services. It is also great fun - you meet wonderful talented generous people and extend your social circle, and there is a great sense of satisfaction making your own skills available to - often - people who couldn't afford them in the ordinary course of events.

Sounds too good to be true? Well it WAS! Ours folded. What happens in reality is that very often people who list their services can't/won't perform when you need them (and of course the strength of the system is also its weakness..........there is no financial incentive! Second disadvantage is the scheme requires a lot of work from the members of the exchange (obviously, unpaid!) preparing and updating contact lists, adding new people, sending out bumph to newcomers (they come thick and fast until they realise there's a bit of work to do). Whilst we organised ourselves to do this around meals in each others homes, or general 'feasts' in the local church hall for all LETS exchangers, it was difficult to keep the momentum going e.g. through the summer when lots of people are away - or at Christmas time, and of course the demands on the exchange are greater at holiday times. Thirdly there were inevitably (aren't there always!) some people who got lots of services and stuff from others and then disappeared without reciprocating by making whatever talents/services they had offered available to the exchange members.........so a bit of 'leakage' from the exchange occurs and people get disspirited. Lastly there was always a surfeit of reflexology, thesis-typing services, interior design and always a shortage of builders plumbers, accountants, van-drivers, people who can teach/mend P.Cs 'cos they all earn mega-dosh in 'the real world' and its a rare accountant whoes inclined to trade her/his talents for organic veg or help with a loft conversion.

Thanks for reminding me of LETS ClubMan! They were good times and I would join an exchange again as soon as my doctorate is written up and I've got more time to spare. I do think it is a wonderful sytem. All it needs to set up is enthusiasm, time and willingness to share skills.

Back