let apprentice go?

mmefc

i took on a guy this time last year who said he was a 3rd year but i knew after 3 days if anything he was a 1st year.i wanted to see this guy progress so i sent him to fas were he failed 5 of his 9 exams.last week he asked me for a raise and i gave him one and now i regret it as he cant produce that labour for the amount of salary he is being paid should i let him go? or give him the benefit of the doubt any advice appreciated

every Fas apprentice has a registration number. the last few digits of the number are the month and year he was registered. that will tell you whether he is a first year or not.

based on what you have stated in your opening post i would definatley let him go.How many chances does a person deserve? there are plenty of morequalified and deserving people that woudl be eager to have that person's job.

Its your reputation that will suffer if his work is not up to scratch and you shouldn't have to keep checking his work if he is being paid as a near qualified tradesman.

please note that this employee is more than a year with you and as such the rules of the unfair dismissals act will have to be followed (special attention should be paid toward the verbal and written warnings you intend to issue him)

if you merely sack him you are wide open to an unfair dismissals claim. it is absolutely definately not as simple as sacking him because you dont think he cant produce the labour for the rate. Especially as it can be argued correctly that you gave this man a raise and now less than a year you want to sack him for incompetance. you sound like a fair individual but the case you mention could play out very badly against you.

Back