Length of Time After Probate Granted To Distribution of Assets

2ForJoy

If all bank affairs of deceased are fully in order & not too complex nor too many plus the main asset already transferred within beneficiaries as agreed by all how long after probate being granted should it take the solicitor to finalise estate and distribute all remaining assets. I appreciate it can be difficult to answer a question like this but a rough guideline please.

If there are outstanding tax issues, litigation involving the estate or a difficult beneficiary, this may delay matters.

If there are outstanding tax issues, litigation involving the estate or a difficult beneficiary, this may delay matters.
Thankyou but none of those things 2 executors 1 beneficiary no outstanding tax issues or litigation involving estate. 6 months since probate granted 2 .5 years since date of death

An executor is usually given one year to sort things out
Yes was aware of that but probate was not granted for 2 years due to a series of delays + covid related closures. It is the delay since probate has been granted that is of concern now

Thankyou but none of those things 2 executors 1 beneficiary no outstanding tax issues or litigation involving estate. 6 months since probate granted 2 .5 years since date of death
Sounds straightforward. You mentioned though in your opening post a main asset having been transferred between beneficiaries and then state in the above post that there’s one beneficiary. You might clarify.

If the main asset was real property (ie land or buildings - you don’t say), and it’s been transferred, then that’s the main conveyancing done. Sounds like the remainder of the estate to be distributed is the money and belongings. That shouldn’t take too long. If there’s a Solicitor’s bill to be agreed and discharged, then this item should be pursued by the executors to finalise the estate.

My experience is to never underestimate how long something can take, or how complex or expensive something can become, with lawyers involved. I say that as someone surrounded by lawyers (many family members, friends) and I base it on first hand experiences with lawyers in various family and work related matters. I'm sure there are lots of good ones out there too!

It is impossible to give any more precise anwswer without in-depth knowledge of the affair - the OP has stated some facts according to him/her.

But we do not know if there are things he/she is not aware of and whether what he/she stated is the full story. Only the executor can answer these questions

My experience is to never underestimate how long something can take, or how complex or expensive something can become, with lawyers involved. I say that as someone surrounded by lawyers (many family members, friends) and I base it on first hand experiences with lawyers in various family and work related matters. I'm sure there are lots of good ones out

Yes that has been my experience too but it is not really good enough - as a professional service / business. I can fully understand certain legal undertakings are complex and drawn out but probate & sorting out a straightforward estate surely should not be taking years / months with no detail given on expected dates for completion.

It is impossible to give any more precise anwswer without in-depth knowledge of the affair - the OP has stated some facts according to him/her.

But we do not know if there are things he/she is not aware of and whether what he/she stated is the full story. Only the executor can answer these questions
I did state the full story as I know it. The executors both say they have no idea when it will be sorted and I do believe them. They have been given no real info from Solicitor other than these things take time. I'm just wondering what are the norms is 6 months normal or long to get it sorted post probate.

Sounds straightforward. You mentioned though in your opening post a main asset having been transferred between beneficiaries and then state in the above post that there’s one beneficiary. You might clarify.

If the main asset was real property (ie land or buildings - you don’t say), and it’s been transferred, then that’s the main conveyancing done. Sounds like the remainder of the estate to be distributed is the money and belongings. That shouldn’t take too long. If there’s a Solicitor’s bill to be agreed and discharged, then this item should be pursued by the executors to finalise the estate.
Sorry yes to clarify 2 Executors & myself a beneficiary so full estate to be shared equally between 2 executors + 1 beneficiary

Thanks for your response . Yes main asset was house - sorted. So yes remainder of estate is money accounts policies . You say shouldnt take " too long " ? ...a month, 2 months 6 months 12 months ? We were told 3 months for probate and that took 2 years....Yes there is a bill to be paid to solicitor but that won't be paid until everything is finalised. I presume the solicitor just takes it from the estate at final stage. A quote was given at outset. Re "the executors should pursue " the solicitor has all details and supposed to be working on it. if I was the executor I would definitely email the solicitor to enquire about delays and reasons for ongoing delays and ask for an expected end date but executors are reluctant to as they say hassle the solicitor saying its still in progress he is working on it & these things take time

The executors both say they have no idea when it will be sorted
The executors are the ones driving the administration of the estate. If they don’t know, they need to make it their business to know. They need to get on to the Solicitor and pursue finalisation. The Executors, now that Probate has been granted, are specifically empowered to distribute the estate and can bypass the Solicitor if required.

Thanks for your response . Yes main asset was house - sorted. So yes remainder of estate is money accounts policies . You say shouldnt take " too long " ? ...a month, 2 months 6 months 12 months ? We were told 3 months for probate and that took 2 years....Yes there is a bill to be paid to solicitor but that won't be paid until everything is finalised. I presume the solicitor just takes it from the estate at final stage. A quote was given at outset. Re "the executors should pursue " the solicitor has all details and supposed to be working on it. if I was the executor I would definitely email the solicitor to enquire about delays and reasons for ongoing delays and ask for an expected end date but executors are reluctant to as they say hassle the solicitor saying its still in progress he is working on it & these things take time
The Solicitor (if he/she is the one who said “these things take time”) is talking BS. It takes as long as it takes the Solicitor, on the Executors’ instructions, to extract the funds from the Policies and Bank Accounts. Once Probate issues, it takes days/weeks to withdraw funds as the various institutions have no interest in holding onto such funds. The Executors need to sit on the Solicitor and get him to distribute the estate, taking into account his Final Bill (which must be in line with the original quote) and prepare a Final Estate Account. If the Solicitor won’t do this, they can complain to the LSRA. They can always seek to bypass the Solicitor and withdraw the various funds themselves, but should warn the Solicitor that they’re doing this.

Last edited:
I am going through this process at the minute as the executor of my father's estate. My mother predeceased him 3 years ago but she had the foresight to transfer the house to me and my brother, both executors. Nothing left except bank accounts and some disbursements as per the will. Meeting with the lawyer this week and she said it is taking 4 months at the minute to get probate

I am going through this process at the minute as the executor of my father's estate. My mother predeceased him 3 years ago but she had the foresight to transfer the house to me and my brother, both executors. Nothing left except bank accounts and some disbursements as per the will. Meeting with the lawyer this week and she said it is taking 4 months at the minute to get probate
Thankyou for your response but you are talking about getting the grant of Probate - that took us 2 years due to covid & other issues. What I am asking is AFTER probate has been granted the solicitor has to get bank accounts sorted policies etc and then distribute assets. Roughly how long should / does / will that take was my query.

Back