Length of Term of new Mortgage with UB while trying to keep current tracker

Dinny

Hi all,

I have just started the process of applying for a new mortgage with UB which will allow me to maintain my tracker mortgage.

I spoke to UB about a month ago about there product without any real issue but at a meeting last week I was informed that they will only issue the my mortgage with the same term duration as my existing tracker with them, i.e I have 15 years left on my tracker mortgage so therefore any new mortgage amount charged at the current standard variable rate would have a matching term of 15 years My age is not an issue as I am young enough to get a 20 yr or 25 yr mortgage.

Has anybody else involved with transferring a tracker with Ulster Bank come across the same issue.

Hi Dinny,

We have gone through this process late last year and had the same condition which we hadn't realised at the start either. Our additional mortgage could only have a term equal to the remainder of our tracker which means we have a high payment but thankfully we can manage it. We only have 12 years left.

I can see why this would put a lot of people off moving the tracker, but if you can afford it I would not let it put you off as you will be mortgage-free while you're still young!

Back