Legality Of Manager Buying Employer's Business Premises

So a client of a professional firm "is entitled to" exercise a veto on their hiring decisions?

What do you think would happen?

No. You hire whomsoever you accept responsibility for hiring.
But if the hiree is to handle clients' accounts, then they are entitled to the same professionalism as would be extended by the capturing (sorry about this term, maybe you have a better one) partner of that firm.

Looking at your scenario of a solicitors or accountants firm in a small town, this means that, before hire, one of the senior partners would explain and lay down the law about professional treatment of clients and the confidentiality of their information. It being a small town, it's likely that the senior partners would realise that if one of their clients and one of their staff were inimical, either that staff member would be kept away from any data of that client or a hint dropped to the client about his/her nemesis being now working at the firm: that's their cue to jump ship. Keeping the client in the dark would be setting a time-bomb.

This situation is far from 100% secure but it has built-in penalties for someone abusing information gained via the nature of their job.

When doctors, dentists, etc retire and advise ex-patients that they intend - unless otherwise advised by any patient wishing to go elsewhere - to forward patient records to Dr Welby nearby, they are doing pretty much as outlined above. At least those that advise their patients do.

But openly advertised buying and selling of "blocks" of clients between accountants without the clients having any say in their "transfers" is quite wrong and unfair to the clients concerned. They signed up to have legal/financial services done for them, no more.

Looking at your scenario of a solicitors or accountants firm in a small town
Sorry, I don't think you have a clue about small towns in modern Ireland. Your implicit assumption that solicitors or accountants derive their client base solely from the immediate locality might have been true a century ago but not nowadays. Especially so in small towns.

Talk of people having nemeses and the like is utter fantasy.

Sorry, I don't think you have a clue about small towns in modern Ireland. Your implicit assumption that solicitors or accountants derive their client base solely from the immediate locality might have been true a century ago but not nowadays. Especially so in small towns.

Talk of people having nemeses and the like is utter fantasy.

I know a good lot about rural townlands, villages, small towns and provincial cities in both Ireland and the UK.

I know how easy it is for grudges formed in schooldays to fester on football fields, over land leases, local (often mischievous) girls, jobs with local employers and worst of all local "reputation" . . . And all that is to say nothing about politics and the various movements around the local area.

Professional people like doctors, vets, solicitors, etc try to stay out of the fray. They have to in order to enjoy adequate trust to do their jobs or to make a livelihood from a community that has certain divisions.

But to pretend that it isn't there "any more" - or suggest that this was just observed in certain inbred localities, our social Black Valleys - this is simply from the world of Alice In Wonderland and Say It Isn't So.

Things don't change while the conditions around those things don't change. Things like family disfunctionalities, livelihood struggle, education that's too vocational, depressing gender-ratio imbalance, lack of social organisation, amenities and leadership, alcoholism, commoditisation of relationships, etc, etc. In many of these things rural areas are far worse off than they were in my childhood.

Things don't change while the conditions around those things don't change. Things like family disfunctionalities, livelihood struggle, education that's too vocational, depressing gender-ratio imbalance, lack of social organisation, amenities and leadership, alcoholism, commoditisation of relationships, etc, etc. In many of these things rural areas are far worse off than they were in my childhood.
Did you grow up in Angela's Ashes or something?

This topic has been forever drifting off-rail.
And I see no means of editing the OP.

In hindsight it would have been better for to focus on the question title on a possible breach of employee fidelity in buying an employer's premises rather than on the act of buying it. Everyone here thinks the latter is legally kosher. On whether there is a breach of employee fidelity or not, there is disagreement.

@Brendan Rather than have a wayward focus thread on the forum, you might want to severely edit it - if not entirely remove it.
Apologies for not anticipating some of the fall-out on a question of acquiring property in Ireland :)

Hope you didn't bump into to Mandy!!

Back