Legal bills

S

Skipper

Hi,

I have just been involved in a circuit court case where I decided to pull out and accept an injunction rather than fighting it (Costs were beginning to spiral and where only going higher). The only thing is now I am facing a huge legal bill..both the other sides and mine. There is no way that I have the amount in question €5000 for the other sides legal team for a start.

How do I go about paying this?? I have loans out already and have only purchased a house a year ago under Shared Ownership!!!
At the moment I am overdrawn and in debt.

I wouldnt mind but I went to court AS I HAD NO CHOICE. It was a lose lose situation regardless. I was defending myself against noise accusations and had a very good case. However with the law the way it is it was dragging on and bills were mounting.

If anyone can tell me how I now go about paying this it would be appreciated. Can I pay in installments etc????

Thanks,

Skipper

remember War of the Roses, no one wins, its just a degree of losing. legal costs in equity actions, which is what yours was, are high. this should have been explained to you by your legal team when you first consulted them.

if it was, as you say a lose/lose situation, perhaps you should have considered optione before the case went as far as it did.

anyway, you are now faced with legal bills. if you must pay them, then you must pay them, but the other side, and yoru own side, should accept installments.

Alternatively, they may seek a lump sum, but smaller than the bill, if you must take out a loan to pay.

Talk to MABS about debt management. Did your solicitor suggest that you insure against costs beforehand?

I doubt if there was an insurable risk here- sounds like an equity action, and I don't see any insurance company insuring such a case, especially when in the OPs own words it was a lose lose situation.

Hi,

thanks for replies.

The facts of the case are not really important now. Its just that I am concerned at how I can pay this bill. Hopefully installments will bee permitted???

Regards,

Skipper

Back