Legal Aid means limit

eastowest11

What happens if gone over the legal aid income means test -qualified for it back in 2019 but now over the limits. Family law proceedings imminent.

What should I do if there is a change in my financial circumstances?

If you are in receipt of legal services you must tell us (through your solicitor) of any change in your income or capital, for example, if you have been given a pay rise, the value of your social welfare has changed, or if you have bought a new car or house. The reason you need to do this is because you must stay eligible for legal services while you are receiving legal services, until your case is closed. Just because you financial circumstances have improved does not necessarily mean we will stop your legal aid, though we might ask you to pay a higher contribution.

What will happen if I fail to notify the law centre of a change in my circumstances?

If you do not tell us that your income or capital has changed, and we discover that it has, we might decide to stop your legal aid. Our leaflet Withdrawal of Legal Services describes this process. I some circumstances, where we "revoke" rather than "terminate" your legal aid certificate, you might have to repay all of the money we have spent providing you with legal aid.

Back