Laya Left PT employment but only advised today cover expired a month ago.

NOAH

As per the heading, friend left PT work last February where employer paid part of health cover and rest paid by friend ie a couple. The friend paid the annual amount in advance and cover was until 1 Nov 2017. Advised today that cover was terminated 27 May and a credit for payment up to 1 Nov 2017 is being returned. They have 13 weeks to rejoin and cover will be treated as continuous. The reason given is that employer only advised them yesterday of leavers!!

Is this allowed?

Surprised no answers so did a bit of digging and rang HIA apparently it is illegal to cancel a persons healthcare policy only the person who owns policy can cancel. It is under investigation now and if I get anymore detail I will post back.

It's not that people aren't sympathetic to the situation... just it's such a corner case not sure if anyone has useful advice.
I know when I was leaving a previous employer where we have that part pay situation, the company passed on the information to me so that I could pay the rest of the policy without any gap in cover. So I did that, and then in my new employer I had free health insurance so in the end I cancelled it...

Back