Leaving job, what am i entitled to?

W

wowow

Hi, just wondering if anyone has been in a similar situation as mine. I am hoping to leave my job where i work long unsociable hours to spend more time with my child and try to do a course and get a normal job.
I am a single parent, 25 yrs old with one child, i own my own apartment. i am going out with a guy but we don't live together,but he does stay at my place sometimes,will this play a factor in my payments/ entitlements?
i have looked at the sites relevant to welfare but was hoping someone could share their experiences or knowledge on this subject.

Ta....!

If you become unemployed then you should sign on at your local SW office and see if you are entitled to Jobseekers Benefit or Jobseekers Allowance. If you leave work voluntarily your claim may be deferred for a number of weeks at the discretion of the claims officer I think. You need to be genuinely available for and seeking work to claim JB/JA and other qualifying conditions (e.g. PRSI records for JB and means test for JA) apply. See here for more on this. If you are genuinely living alone with your child then you may be entitled to One Parent Family Payment - see here. There are also back to work schemes but I'm not sure if they only apply to the long term unemployed. You should contact SW and maybe CititizensInformation for advice on your entitlements. You may also be able to claim tax back using a [broken link removed].

I am hoping to leave my job where i work long unsociable hours to spend more time with my child and try to do a course and get a normal job.

You should claim One-parent Family Payment, as Clubman states. You would not be available for work as per your quote above (looking after child, studying). However, if you are on One-parent Family Payment and provided the course is one of those approved by SW, you will probably get Back to Education Allowance must be full-time-is this what you intend?). You may also qualify for a grant from VEC depending on age and means.

finally, you ar not entitled to OFP if you are "co-habiting" and your BF staying over a night or two does not constitute this, once you can prove the bills and house payments are in your name and that you are living independantly from him.

Good luck with the change of career!

Last edited:
Thanks for the replies. Yes I am living on my own with my child, i am open to full time or part time courses. I will hopefully be ready to leave my job in the next couple of weeks and won't know what I'm entitled to until then i suppose. Just trying to find out as much as i can before I do!

Thanks again.

Back