lease query

mark27

Hi

I am currently looking around at premisis to rent and wad wondering what the steps are.Does the auctioneer send a lease to my solicitor to check .Does anybody know roughly how much this costs.Any help would be grateful

Mark

The EA will only issue to your solicitor if you specifically ask, I would think. Most likely to be issued to you for signing and you forward on to your solicitor.
Not sure of your status. If you are a start-up, I'd avoid committing to a lease as these are normally 4yrs 9months. There are other options for start-ups for cheap office space such as in the Dublin innovation centre.
If your company is more established, then you are probably right to go ahead with a lease, but definitely get your solicitor's advice on it.
If you don't have an established relationship with a solicitor (otherwise you'd know what he/she generally charges), I'd ask around for recommendations (not necessarily here - business colleagues, family, friends). It is good to have an established relationship with a solicitor and accountant as it certainly makes life easier when you need them at the drop of a hat

Most leases are straightforward and don't need a solicitors opinion. Just make sure that all questions are answered in the lease: amt of rent, rent review period, length of lease, what the landlord provides/is covered by the service charge, maintenence etc, what your responsibilites are, alarm system, fire escape etc. Don't worry ttoo much about the length of the lease - it's a renters market at the moment (though that might depend on where your office is) but do negotiate anything you want changed - rent, lease length etc.
Don't forget to ask about service charge and rates- these can mount up to quiite a bit.
the reason most leases are less than 5 years is that at five years you accrue rights that residential leasees can only dream of.

Last edited:
Back