Home Leaking roof and ceiling - Insurance company won't pay

tinal

Hi All
About 12 days rain started to pour into my hallway through the ceiling. I live in a bungalow and the rain was coming in through a leak in the roof. I rang the Insurance company and a Roofer who carried out a temporary repair on the roof. The lead in the Valleys of the roof was damaged.

The leak is directly over our main fuse box and alarm system, both of which are presently covered by plastic bags! Even though I rang the insurance company on the day it happened, 12 days ago, they are only sending an Assessor out on Thrusday. They have said that if the leaking lead is down to anything other than Storm Damage that I am not covered. They have also said that there have been no storms lately, so I feel they are going to put it down to bad workmanship on the roof (the house is only 13 years old)

I have stressed the importance of getting the repairs done urgently as the water was pouring into the fuse box..They have said to get it done, but if the roof is not covered under my insurance then the subsequent water damage, to the ceiling, walls, fuse box and alarm box will also not be covered!!

I am just left wondering why I pay house insurance if nothing is covered. Can anybody tell me if this is normal practice for them to not cover anything, even the internal damage?

A very disillusioned
tina

More than likely, you are NOT insured for LEAKS.

Read your policy documentation. You are probably covered for storm/burst pipes etc. You are certainly not covered for 'perishing lead'

You MUST maintain your house. Your insurers do NOT have a duty to maintain the property, but simply to look after you in the event of an INSURED PERIL. The onus is on you to prove the operation of an insured peril.

I am just left wondering why I pay house insurance if nothing is covered.

People should not in general be buying products when they have no idea whats contained in them. Education of the policy conditions should be a minimum for everyone when it comes to insurance. As one of the most important products you purchase on a yearly basis you should read the policy document.

you are in general (read your specific policy) cover for the following insured risks in the household insurance policy:
  • Fire
  • Aircraft or other Flying objects hitting your home
  • Theft or attempted Theft
  • Escape of Oil
  • Escape of water
  • Storm or Flood
  • Falling Trees
  • Falling radio/televisoon/satellite dishes
  • Builings being hit by a road vehicle
  • Malicious Damage
  • Subsidence
Generally there is also accidential damage to glass and sanitary ware included.

This is general and you should read your specific policy

In order for a claim to arise the damage must be caused by one of the above for it to be insured

To the OP...Many insurers will consider a lead lined roof valley gutter as a fixed water apparatus. In those circumstances, if the valley leaks and water comes into the house, insurers will meet the cost of the damage caused by the escape of water, but not for repairs to the apparatus from where the water leaked. Speak to your insurers and determine what view they will take. Remember, only some insurers, not all, consider a roof valley as a water apparatus. Get back onto them and make your case. Hope that this works out for you.

Back