Leak in neighbours apt. caused damage in my apt.

B

biggerry

My tenants called me and told me about a leak that's coming through the ceiling in an apt I own.

I had a look and it appears to be coming from the bathroom of the apartment above mine.

I'm going to report it to the management company so they can contact the other owner and get him/her to fix the leak.

The damage that's been done to the ceiling will need to be repaired. My question is should I have to pay for this or should I get the owner of the apartment that caused the damage to pay?

If they are liable, should I show them the damage that's been done before I do the repairs or should I go ahead and get the repairs done and then forward receipts?

Does the block insurance put in place by the management company not cover this sort of thing?

Re: Lead

I never thought of that Clubman.. Thanks!. I'll ask the management company.

Re: Lead

There's usually an excess that you will have to pay.

Up to you if you want to pursue your neighbour for this excess. When you come to sell the flat, there will usually be a question about whether or not there has been written communications or litigation between neighbours.

Re: Leak

Just called the management company and they said that the excess is €2500. The repair shouldn't cost anything close to this.

Can the owner of the apt. reject liability and refuse to pay?

Back