Lcd tv, which one of these is best buy?

IrishGunner, just took this from the powercity website. It has some of their Stephen's Day sale prices posted on it. I think the numbers of each are limited and prices are only valid until noon.

UP TO 20% on LARGE SCREEN LCD and PLASMA TELEVISIONS
SONY - SAMSUNG - PHILIPS - NORDEMENDE - SANYO - BEKO - TOSHIBA

SONY 40" LCD ..... 1499euro inc PRF 15euro
LG 42" PLASMA ..... 999euro inc PRF 15euro
NORDEMENDE 15" LCD ..... 199euro inc PFR 5euro
SONY 32" LCD ..... 979euro inc PRF 10euro
PHILIPS 23" LCD ..... 499euro inc PRF 10euro
POWERPOINT DVD Recorder ... 99euro inc PRF 1euro
BEKO 20" CTV 115euro inc PFR 5euro
SONY HOME CINEMA SYSTEM ... 199 inc PRF 1euro
PHILIPS 37" LCD ..... 1199euro inc PRF 15euro

I've heard Playstations can ruin LCD's is this true? Do they affect Plasmas too?

I'm completely lost with the whole TV thing - what does HD ready mean?

I've heard Playstations can ruin LCD's is this true? Do they affect Plasmas too?

Plasmas are traditionally more susceptible to screen burn than LCD TVs.

Leaving any static image displayed on the TV for a long time e.g. leaving a game (or a DVD) on the menu for a long time can cause a "ghost image" to remain permanently on the Plasma. Apparently, new Plasmas are particularly susceptible in the first 80 hours (if I remember correctly) of use , so you must be particularly careful then.

HD (High Definition) TV means higher resolution i.e. more lines of detail. There are different standards prevalent as the TV screen gets bigger. Techo explanation here.

IrishGunner, just took this from the powercity website. It has some of their Stephen's Day sale prices posted on it. I think the numbers of each are limited and prices are only valid until noon.

UP TO 20% on LARGE SCREEN LCD and PLASMA TELEVISIONS
SONY - SAMSUNG - PHILIPS - NORDEMENDE - SANYO - BEKO - TOSHIBA

SONY 40" LCD ..... 1499euro inc PRF 15euro
LG 42" PLASMA ..... 999euro inc PRF 15euro
NORDEMENDE 15" LCD ..... 199euro inc PFR 5euro
SONY 32" LCD ..... 979euro inc PRF 10euro
PHILIPS 23" LCD ..... 499euro inc PRF 10euro
POWERPOINT DVD Recorder ... 99euro inc PRF 1euro
BEKO 20" CTV 115euro inc PFR 5euro
SONY HOME CINEMA SYSTEM ... 199 inc PRF 1euro
PHILIPS 37" LCD ..... 1199euro inc PRF 15euro

Managed to grab me a Philips 42" LCD and hooked it up today cost me €1299 and €89 for a stand in Power city on Stephens Day

Now looking for wireless speakers but thats another day

Cheers

went down to currys in newry yesterday to buy a Toshiba 37'' lcd they have. young guy in the shop more or less talked me out of it. said the LG was better as was the Samsung. Demonstrated the LG ie picture in picture and 3 side pictures to see whats on elsewhere etc. £899. but as my space is confined I had to check the height again so when I came home and checked it out I went to currys website and unfortunately for the young chap in the store you can buy the telly for £150 cheaper off the web. crazy or what? that was a really good price Irishgunner.

IrishGunner what is the contrast on that tv? I shopped around most of the leading electrical shops and found that LG were generally the bst value. Got meself a 37" LG LCD model with a contrast of 1200:1 for €1100 in Dixons.

IrishGunner what is the contrast on that tv? I shopped around most of the leading electrical shops and found that LG were generally the bst value. Got meself a 37" LG LCD model with a contrast of 1200:1 for €1100 in Dixons.

Not sure here is the link for the TV I bought

They only had a few in Power City and we got there early enough. Brother got one in DID not sure for the same price.

Does anyone have any advise on a 12v TV, we are looking for something for our camper van, preferably with a DVD player.
The thing is, I presume that running the DVD player would eat up a lot of battery. Would it be better to use a laptop, and if so does anyone know how to get the TV to play on the laptop, I think there are a few methods, TV top box type thing, or maybe a TV card. Don't know much about it.
Thanks

Back