Laying turf this week

PeterGriffin

Hi....laying turf (rollout grass) this Fri and looking for a little advice.
  • Firstly am I mad even thinking about it given the current weather or should I try and wait a few weeks?
  • I've been told I should lay pre-turf fertiliser, is this something special or would any fertiliser/compost do?
  • Would it be too late to roll the lawn this week or should I even bother?
Any help at all would really help cause I don't want to waste all the work I've done leading up to this!!!

Not an expert but laid turf myself last year...

Don't worry too much about the weather... just make sure you water thoroughly in the days after it's laid.

Use a fertiliser on the prepared soil but make sure it has a lower rating as you want the grass to settle in rather than go on a growth spurt.

Make sure the gound you're laying it on is well prepared. Rake it over and get rid of any large stones. Try and get it as level as possible too... I had a few lumps and bumps left in mine and I've had to fill in this year with sand and compost mix.

When laying the rolls stagger the joints like bricks in a wall. Pack each roll tight to the next. Use boards or planks to walk on laid turf (if you really have too... it's best to keep of the grass if possible). Once all is laid roll over the turf to press the joints in. I hadn't got a roller so used a plank and my own weight... seemed quite effective.

It's not a difficult job and doesn't require any great skill... just time and care and you should have a lawn you can enjoy within a few weeks...

Good Luck...

Last edited:
Thanks a million....appreciate the response. Been trying to level the lawn as best I could, heavy rain this week actually helped to show parts which weren't level. Can I just ask what you mean by fertiliser with a "lower rating"?

All fertilizers will have three numbers across the front indicating the content of nitrogen, phosphorus and potassium respectively. I can't remember the mix recommended to me but if you check the numbers on the bag when you purchase it and make sure you don't get one that's too stong...

Hi All,

How long should I water the turf for each day? Currently I have set the spinkler to come on for an hour in the morning and evening. The lawn is roll out turf and seems to be going OK (laid 5 days ago).

Back