Laya Laya Renewal - Simply Connect or Inspire

FourOfAKind

Hi Folks,

I am looking for some advice on health insurance Policies. Based in the west of Ireland [Mayo].

My Parents (62) & (61) and I(35) are currently covered by Laya Simply Connect [1100 euro last year], My brother (27) is on Assure Vitality [567 euro last year].

quote for renewal: 1,230 for Simply connect ( up from 130 last year). 628 for Vitality (up from 60 odd from last year).

Both parents are on tablets for High BP, dad also on tablets for Gout. I am in a similar case to dad, Tablets for BP, get the odd bout of gout.

Younger brother has no problems thankfully.

So looking at the policies are we better to switch too Inspire and save 130 each, It seems the same except the cover in the Dublin private hospitals, which based in the west is less of a requirement. Also is the Galway Clinic / Bons Secour covered in Inspire/Simply Connect?

The other two options I looked at were Simplicity and Simply Connect Plus, both about 40 more then the current plan but may be worth the upgrade based on the new Simply connect price.

Also one other thing that confuses me, I see in some comparisons it lists Simply connect with a start date of 1970 and price 1132 but others show a start date last year and the 1230 price, is this just a bug in the HIA compare site?

Also is the younger brother on good a package or is there a better alternative?

Renewal date seems to be Jan 1st:
"We wish to thank you for your membership and to let you know your policy will renew on January 1st. "
on first direct debit collection on January 3rd.

Thanks in Advance

Last edited:
I've found Laya very helpful in explaining the exact difference between policies. I changed both our policies this year to Inspire and Simply Connect Plus. I was told it was basically the same policy, the main difference being that Inspire has only 80% cover for knee/hip joint replacements and cataract surgery. Simply Connect is much the same as SC Plus but with a €500 a year max claim for outpatient claims rather than €1000. There are other small differences.

If you go onto the Laya website, click Join Laya, then Compare Your Scheme and the renewal date, put in Simply Connect Plus as your scheme and Inspire the one you wish to compare it to, you should see a comparison of the 3 policies (including Simply Connect). Click "Show differences only" top left. Also if you hit the "Which Hospitals?" button near the top of each plan you'll find the answer to your local hospital cover. I did that (with multiple plans) then rang Laya to run through my options and confirm the plans were what I thought. As I said they were very helpful and not at all trying to push more expensive policies.

Plus if you hit "Buy Online" for any policy it comes up with the annual price - just be sure to change the start date to 1 Jan again.

PS. No affiliation with Laya, just a satisfied (so far) customer.

Last edited:
Thanks mct1

So based on that it would look like we are better off switching to inspire and saving 130 each

Any idea why the price 1132 shows in some comparisons and the 1230 price in others for Simply connect, is this just a bug in the HIA compare site?

Also is the younger brother it looks like he may be better off switching to assure protect, is he losing much in doing this?

Thanks In Advance

No idea re the HIA comparison site. I tried it but just find it easier to compare Laya's policies on their own website as I described already. They have an online chat if you just want to check something without ringing. If your brother goes down to Assure Protect it seems he loses overseas cover, not much else by the looks of it. As I said I would talk to them before you pay up to be sure the new polices are what you want.

Hi FourOfAKind,

For your brother, Assure Protect is the cheapest similar option with Laya at the moment.
However for a similar price, VHI has a similar plan with just public hospital cover but it has refunds for gp visits etc included.

1. VHI PublicPlus Care Day to Day; price 510pa; just public hospital cover. Extra day to day cover included, refund of 20 per gp and dental visit,
refund of 60 per consultant visit.

2. VHI PublicPlus Care; price 479pa; just public hospital cover.

3. Laya Assure Protect; price 511pa; just public hospital cover.

https://www.hia.ie/comparison-tool/...jayI6ZmFsc2UsInBsYW5fZGV0YWlsX2lkIjotMX19XQ==

Adult Options
The main difference between Inspire plan and Simply Connect plan is the 80% cover for cataract and hip/knee replacement surgery in private hospitals.
Note; the 20% shortfall would mean a cost of 2000 or 3000 to the patient. The Blackrock Clinic in Dublin does not pass this charge onto the patient.
So, for your parents, its something to think about when considering Inspire plan.
Inspire plan would be an ideal alternative option for you, because of your younger age bracket, less risk of needing a hip replacement.

An alternative option for your parents with Laya is Essential Health 300 @ price 996pa; Full cover for hip/knee replacement or cataract surgery on this
plan. Limited day to day cover.

https://www.hia.ie/comparison-tool/...Mb2NrIjpmYWxzZSwicGxhbl9kZXRhaWxfaWQiOi0xfX1d

Also, Simply Connect Plus plan will also increase to 1330 from 1st Jan 2020.

Regards, Snowyb

Back