Laya Laya Healthcare - Dreadful service from customer service.

Grizzly

I decided to move to Laya from the VHI as the plan I was interested in was comparable to my existing VHI plan but €600 cheaper for two people.

When I rang I was advised to sign up online and I would get a 10% discount off my annual premium because if I did it over the phone with her I would not get the discount.

A day later I rang to clarify a couple of details about the product I was taking out that I had missed first time around. I was talking to a different customer service rep this time. I was then told that I was not entitled to the 10% discount as my plan was a corporate plan and that did not qualify.

I now have two different staff members in Laya Healthcare telling me different things.

I try to sign up online to test if I can get the 10% discount or not. I don't get that far. Their system tells me that my PPS number is not valid.

I have had this PPS number for over 40 years. I manage to get around this obstacle and I proceed to pay at the end but I am given two different prices for my policy. I am only allowed to O.K. the higher one. This is €12 higher. I back track and discover that there is a credit charge. This is despite the fact that I am paying with my credit card and paying my annual premium in full up front. I wonder if this is a credit card charge so I change the pay option to pay by cheque in full. Again I am asked for €12 more. So it is not a credit card charge after all.

I decide to ring customer service rep no.3. She was not in the slightest interested in any of the problems I was having with trying to give her company money online. Wasn't aware that there were two prices being charged. Didn't know or care about the PPS number or whether Laya's system would take it or not. Not in the slightest bit proactive. She also thought that I could get the 10% discount but I had to explain to her that I understood my policy type did not allow this discount. "Oh Yah, perfect" was about the most I got out of her throughout the whole telephone conversation.

So if you are dealing with Laya double check everything. It will be interesting to see how my paperwork turns out when I get it next week.

The 3% charge should only be for the monthly charge not yearly. The price difference may have had something to do with an online offer and price via their call centre. The online discount is to stop people ringing the call centre.

Call centre staff generally wouldn't want to entertain an online customer as they won't get the sale towards their figures. Dell, Oracle etc

FYI:
Online quotes from Laya are only giving prices for those that are switching (10% discount). I've pulled them up about this as its false advertising IMHO. One should be given the option to state if you are switching.

Is the HIA the appropriate authority to complain to?

S.

Got a response from the HIA.

They said, if you let the policy elapse and inform laya it has been cancelled, you can then avail of the 10% discount rate as a new customer (within the 13 weeks). You'll just have a new policy number.

S.

Update: What really annoys me is on the face of it their explanation of the discount to new applications was a total red herring. As of the renewal date the policy increased to the price I was quoted. Obviously the way laya align their policy renewals is upon the start of a month. Then they hit you with an increase on that date. It so happens my renewal is in DEC and they upped the policy I was looking to switch too.

Can one renew or switch to another policy with the same/any provider prior/coming up to ones renewal in the hope to dodge these "bullets"?

Thanks
S.

Health Insurance

I have spent a considerable amount of time comparing VHI and Laya Health.
Finally I was satisfied that Laya offered better value for money for my needs.
I proceeded to complete the online-joining form.
I found that on one section of their contract they state that a procedure
is available up to 30th September next.
As my contract will be for 12 months is it not bad business practice to offer me a contract for 12 months with part of it expiring in 9 months. Find that strange?

Also they are offering a 10% discount for new policies on line. It does not apply to my corporate policy?
They don't offer a facility for choosing group contributions on line, there is an additional charge of 3% for paying this way. Fair enough but when I phone them they suggest that I should complete the form anyway and they will alter the payment and add the 3% then.
Seems an unusual way to do business. Am I making the correct decision?

Would welcome comments.
Browtal

Back