Health Insurance Laya Care Select Alternative?

bluepaddy

My elderly mother is currently on Laya "Care Select" costing €1,591.48 effective 01/01/2021. This policy offers private room cover in a private hospital and decent out patient expense coverage. I note that Laya are introducing a 20% shortfall on specified orthopaedic and ophthalmic procedures from 01/01/2021 on this policy.

Does anybody know of a policy offering similar benefits without the 20% shortfall that would be worthy of consideration.

Thanks.

Connect Simplicity & Simply Connect Plus plans with LAYA are cheaper than Care Select and have no shortfall on specified orthopaedic and ophthalmic procedures.
They have per night shortfalls and excesses in certain hospitals.

e.g. Simply Connect Plus has Private Hospital Semi Private room cover as follows:
Covered with €150 excess per claim on the first private hospital claim per member per year; No excess applies to 5 orthopaedic procedures (hip and knee replacement) in 12 private hospitals

e.g. Connect Simplicity has Private Hospital Private room cover as follows:
Covered with €150 excess per claim on the first two private hospital claims per member per year; No excess applies to 5 orthopaedic procedures (hip and knee replacement) in 12 private hospitals

This thread discussed the plans:

You can see the details for the plans here:

Thanks odyssey06

Transferred policy over to Connect Simplicity. Lower outpatient cover and higher excess but at least no 20% shortfall.

What made you choose this plan out of curiousity?
The hia website comparison tool?

It seems to be the only plan without the shortfalls for procedures - but has a very low outpatient limit.

What made you choose this plan out of curiousity?
The hia website comparison tool?
It seems to be the only plan without the shortfalls for procedures - but has a very low outpatient limit.

I think it was combo of HIA site for comparison, news updates section on specific plans and Laya site.
Laya site had a list of policies without shortfalls... and also you could show just the delta of diffs between policies.

The 1000e benefit refund limit for an over 70 who has GP or medical card should cover most circumstances.

They say there are no shortfalls but do not specify any more.
The €1000 is very low as the cover for scans, physio etc are very low - but the plan has better orthopaedic cover.

My policy has a €6500 outpatient limit but has terrible cover so.....yeah..........

The only plans that don't seem to have co-payments for laya are
  1. laya simply connect plus -
  2. laya connect Simplicity
But - they do not clarify any of this as seen below

Specified Orthopaedic & Ophthalmic ProceduresNo excess or shortfall applies for Specified orthopaedic procedures, normal excesses & shortfalls apply for ophthalmic procedures

Back