Latest news and measures on Coronavirus - Ireland

Thursday 10th September:
  • 196 new cases and no further deaths

Of the cases confirmed today:
  • 107 were in Dublin, 12 in Waterford, 11 in Limerick, eight in Wicklow, seven in Meath, seven in Kildare, six in Laois and six in Westmeath.
  • The remaining 32 cases are located in Cavan, Clare, Donegal, Galway, Kilkenny, Leitrim, Longford, Louth, Mayo, Monaghan, Offaly, Roscommon, Tipperary and Wexford.
  • The majority of cases (61%) were in people under the age of 45.
  • Community transmission was identified in 37 cases
  • 43% of today’s cases are associated with outbreaks or are close contacts of a confirmed case.

Other news:
  • Earlier today, a meeting of the National Public Health Emergency Team (NPHET) concluded and will recommend to government further restrictions on visits to households in Dublin amid a spike in cases in the capital.
  • Public officials have recommended to Government that only six people, from two other households, instead of three other households will be allowed, TheJournal.ie understands.
  • If accepted by the Government, the measures would be introduced for three weeks in Dublin.

Friday 11th September:
  • 211 new cases and one further death
  • It brings the total number of cases in the Republic of Ireland to 30,571.
  • The total number of people with Covid-19 who have died is 1,781.
  • The number of people being treated for Covid-19 in hospitals around the country remains stable.
Of today's cases:
  • More than half of the new cases reported are in Dublin, with 121 cases reported there.
  • There were 17 cases reported in Louth, with ten in Limerick, eight in Cork, and seven each in Westmeath and Wicklow.
  • Six of the cases were reported in Laois, along with five each in Donegal and Galway.
  • The remaining 24 cases are in Carlow, Clare, Kerry, Kildare, Kilkenny, Leitrim, Longford, Mayo, Meath, Offaly, Roscommon, Tipperary, and Waterford.

Nursing home visitor restrictions:
  • Visitor restrictions are to be reimposed on nursing homes in Dublin from Sunday.
  • Following new guidance issued by the Department of Health only one nominated visitor per resident will be permitted.
  • The new restrictions will apply to all long-term residential care facilities in Dublin for the next three weeks.

The Cabinet has agreed a plan to move the country to Level 5 restrictions with certain alterations from midnight on Wednesday for six weeks. However, the restrictions will be reviewed after four weeks.

Specifics to follow in separate thread once confirmed...

Last edited:
The Taoiseach said the country will move to Level 3 from 1 December, with some modifications.

Further detail and discussion on dedicated thread:

TAOISEACH MICHEÁL MARTIN has tested negative for Covid-19 after receiving a second test since returning from Brussels last week.
French President Emmanuel Macron has tested positive for the coronavirus and was the same European Council meeting with Martin last Thursday and Friday.
Martin’s negative test comes after a government spokesperson said earlier that the Taoiseach would be limiting his contacts and getting an “immediate” test following Macron’s confirmed infection.

Taoiseach Micheál Martin tests negative for Covid-19 after Emmanuel Macron tests positive (thejournal.ie)

In response to new strain circulating in England...

FLIGHTS AND PASSENGER ferries from Britain to Ireland will be suspended for 48 hours in an effort to stop the spread of a new coronavirus strain to Ireland. The restrictions will come into effect at midnight and will remain in place for an initial period of 48 hours before being reviewed. Minister for Transport Eamon Ryan has said that flights will not be coming from Britain and only ferries carrying haulage will be permitted.

Discussion thread here

hearing this new virus version is having a greater negative effect than the old one on kids ( could be as severe as in adults)

Ireland is to return to Level 5, the highest level of restrictions for January 2021 (at least).

Please see this thread for details and discussion:

If there is any doubt that this virus can re infect a person then I can report a personnel friend who had the virus last September has yesterday being confirmed as again having the virus for a second time.

If there is any doubt that this virus can re infect a person then I can report a personnel friend who had the virus last September has yesterday being confirmed as again having the virus for a second time.
There appears to be an increasing amount of this too, but its not being studied in any meaningful way yet. One study in China only studied those who appeared to have been re-infected, another that was studying long covid surmised the the virus might lay dormant in the body, particularly the bowel but nothing has been proven conclusively.

THE CABINET SUB-committee has this evening decided to close the vast majority of schools as well as all construction sites until 1 February at the earliest.

Does this effect hardware shops or will they continue to operate? I asked in one shop today and the guy told me he doesn't know.
I didn't saw anywhere anything written that they will need to close.

Does this effect hardware shops or will they continue to operate? I asked in one shop today and the guy told me he doesn't know.
I didn't saw anywhere anything written that they will need to close.
I know 2 people working in hardware and they have not being told anything. Also know someone working in Intel construction and they don't know.

Friday 11th September:
  • 211 new cases and one further death
  • It brings the total number of cases in the Republic of Ireland to 30,571.
  • The total number of people with Covid-19 who have died is 1,781.
  • The number of people being treated for Covid-19 in hospitals around the country remains stable.
That puts the current figures in perspective (as of yesterday);
  • 6521 new cases and ten further death
  • It brings the total number of cases in the Republic of Ireland to 127,657.
  • The total number of people with Covid-19 who have died is 2307.
  • The number of people being treated for Covid-19 in hospitals around the country is 1151.
  • Postivity rate is 22.7%

the current Level 5 restrictions will remain in place until 5 March.
Mandatory quarantine for arrivals without negative PCR test

For discussion see this thread

Back