latest lidl satellite offer

Neither of you have 'bought a dudd'. You need a satfinder to install - and even then, those cheap satfinders dont always function accurately at times. Its not like throwing up an aerial. A mm out and you get nothing - its all or nothing.

i managed to get all channels with the Maplin satellite suitcase (very similar to the Lidl one as far as i know) - didn't need the satfinder but serotoninsid is right - I thought initially it was a dud - u just have to move it millimeter by millimeter - once you have got it tuned in its a lot easier if you want to set it up again as you just put a channel on and move the dish slowly until it appears.

i managed to get all channels with the Maplin satellite suitcase (very similar to the Lidl one as far as i know) - didn't need the satfinder but serotoninsid is right - I thought initially it was a dud - u just have to move it millimeter by millimeter - once you have got it tuned in its a lot easier if you want to set it up again as you just put a channel on and move the dish slowly until it appears.

As already stated on another thread, the job is much easier if a little research is done in advance. http://www.lyngsat.com/ will tell you which stations are on each satellite (follow 'Frequencies' and 'Europe' to take you to Astra 1 and 2D and Hotbird).

http://www.satsig.net/maps/satellite-tv-dish-pointing-uk-ireland.htm will tell you the horizontal angle ('azimuth') to point the dish at and also the 'elevation' (vertical angle). A useful rule-of-thumb is that for the sats of interest expect the dish to be near enough vertical although when fine-tuning you'll almost certainly have to change the angle slightly (and very carefully!).

I find it extremely useful to work out the horizontal angle (azimuth) and mark it on the ground under the dish in some way, before first pointing the dish. Otherwise for Astra 2D, South-East is about right and Astra 1 is 10 deg to the right. Watch out though for large trees or dense bushes which might impede the signals from reaching the dish. If they are dense enough you're probably wasting your time or you should look for a clearer position. The optimum angle at which signals arrive to the dish is not straight out in front as you might think but it's typically between 21 deg and 25 deg dependent on the dish - that's why the dish is more or less vertical for Astra 2D for example which is at an elevation of 22 deg and Astra 1 is 25.

Just go to the menu on your sat receiver box and access the TP setup menu (the one that tells you the signal strength and quality) and leaving it on the screen go out and start to move the satellite around the 28-degrees azimuth, and get someone to shout out to you when they see the signal quality jump up to around 70%. :)

I borrowed one of those little caravanning satellite dish's from my dad last weekend. He bought it in lidl last year and it was never taken out of the box. We went to killarney for the weeekend in our caravan. I have to say, I never set up a dish before and was sceptical but I was surprised to find it worked brilliantly. The suction cup attachment did not work, the dish fell off after 30 mins when fitted to the glass window (pre cleaned with glass cleaner as recommended) But I was able to clamp the dish to the jockey wheel on the front of the caravan with a "g clamp" thing supplied with the kit.
I went to the setup menu, found the signal strength and quality bars and I was able to find the right position in about 4-5 minutes using the directions in the manual. With the TV pointed towards the window and the volume up high (to hear the audible indicator) I was able to get a signal quality about 75-80%. The pre set channels were a bit messed up, a lot of them not working, but we did find BBC1, BBC2, ITV3, UTV. Loads of german channels. I didnt bother going through all the pre set channels as there were hundreds but I'm sure there were others worth watching... Very impressed with the dish, it didnt flinch one bit all weekend, even when we had heavy rain, the signal didnt fade. Tidy little black dish about 40cm wide and about 50cm high, easy assemble and dissasemble, easy to store in its grey case in the caravan and even looks pretty cool while set up outside... got a few guys coming over asking about it, wondering if it was good or bad. The decoder supplied with it was slow to respond to input, maybe 2-3 seconds to catch up with the remote control inputs but it was acceptable for our needs.

My question for you guys, Could I use my home Sky decoder with this little dish? I could bring my decoder and viewing card and have all the channels I have subscribed to at home... I think I might buy one of these for myself if I can use my sky box with the lidl dish.

My question for you guys, Could I use my home Sky decoder with this little dish? I could bring my decoder and viewing card and have all the channels I have subscribed to at home... I think I might buy one of these for myself if I can use my sky box with the lidl dish.

well i purchased a second hand sky box and a yellow house card and used it with the lidl dish - to get channel 4 , channel 5 etc - so I assume you should get whatever channels you subscribe to.

Back