Late VAT return

Welruc

Hi all, i was late filing my vat return and got a letter from ros saying estimated liability of €500.

Normally they owe me money so i filed the return straight away and it came out they owed me €53.

Yesterday i get another letter from ros saying my vat is estimated liability of €2000, and just now i checked account and they have paid my the €553.

I noticed after close of business so couldnt call them but should i be concerned or is this automated that will sort itself out?

It may be for a different vat period. When a vat return isn't filed on time the Revenue machine often picks a figure and treats this as if it was due. Provided you move quickly enough and file your Vat return for the relevant period the estimate gets 'displaced' by the amount you indicate in the vat return. At this stage the matter should be closed. If it still proceeds and you get another demand letter move very quickly and talk to the Collector General to have it cancelled. If the matter isn't addressed it can, and often does, go to the Sheriff for collection. At this stage you'll have someone knocking at your door sooner or later.

Thanks, yeah i called them up today and they told me to ignore it, seems it was just automated and when the return went through it sorted itself out

Back