Large house with smaller Guest House

Nikki2019

Hi everyone
I have a large site and the plan is to build my forever home on it one day if I can ever get the money together. I’ve thought about building a small garage size one bed house on the site to live in in the meantime as I save up for my dream home. I’m currently spending a lot on rent in a place I absolutely hate but stay in as it’s the cheapest in the area and I just think I’m wasting my money with nothing to show for it. I’m wondering if I get planning for the small house (will look like a garage with windows) will it affect getting planning in future for the larger house (which will go in front of the ‘guest’ house one day). Am I better off applying for planning for both large house and guest house together even though I cant really afford the build of the large one right now? I hope that makes sense! Thank you

I wouldn't look at it as two separate houses, that would have planning issues and practical issues.

Design your forever house so that it can be built in stages

I watched my parents build a house in stages. Took about 20 years to finish it, builders and tradesmen constantly in the place and by the time the last of it was done the first bits needed doing again. I’m just impatient I guess. The idea of the smaller house is that I’ll have somewhere to retreat to while the other one is slowly being put together. And when the big one is done the small one can be used for when guests come to stay.

Last edited:
I think cremeegg's suggestion is a good one, it would likely be the most cost effective approach. Design a viable house that you can then extend at another time in one or two phases to add the space you think you will need in the future. Extensions to the existing dwelling would likely be easier than getting permission to build a completely separate structure alongside the initial starter dwelling.

Another option would be to split the site in two down the line and apply for permission for the larger home then. you'd end up with two separate properties with two sets of property tax, utility bills, etc., but you could sell the started home when the other one is ready to move into.

One challenge is that no one can really predict what planners will allow in years to come. So talk to someone familiar with planning in your area to get a sense of the best approach.

I watched my parents build a house in stages. Took about 20 years to finish it, builders and tradesmen constantly in the place and by the time the last of it was done the first bits needed doing again. I’m just impatient I guess. The idea of the smaller house is that I’ll have somewhere to retreat to while the other one is slowly being put together. And when the big one is done the small one can be used for when guests come to stay.

You'll need Planning for the 2 houses on the site then. That means 2 sets of private open space, drainage, waste, water and all utility connections.
The 2 sets of Part L compliance requirements.

Basically both houses have to comply with all the Building and Planning Regulations.

1. Will you get planning for the 2?
2. Can you finance 2 houses and its associated development costs?

Back