Landsdowne Road

R

roundstone

Does the FAI and the fans really need the inane DJ that we have to listen to at Irish Internationals? He might be ok for Slane or the Point but please get him out of Lansdowne.

dj

roundstone,
I know the guy whos behind the voice and inane is one word that you wouldnt use to describe him. Hes just earning a crust.
The FAI hired him to do a job and I think he does it ok, hes a full time dj/band promoter so he is the way he is. Maybe hes OTT sometimes but its just a matter of getting in the spirit. What did he do/say on saturday that has you so rankled?

dj

I gave up going to Ireland internationals years ago but wondered if they ever got rid of the inane PA announcer? The one who used to announce the half time raffle results while the second half action in comepetitive European or World Cup qualifiers was going on. And who, post 1988, used to cheerlead the crowd into doing the Mexican wave when things were a bit dull. I head the interview with Fran Rooney on RTE Radio 1 on Saturday about how they were trying to improve the atmosphere. Top tip - having a crap ballad band play funeral dirge style come all ye's such as Fields Of Athenry and Dublin In The Rare Oul' Times and then sticking on Gene Pitney's You'll Never Walk Alone right at kick-off is hardly going to get people's blood pumping! Even most eircom League grounds do a better job with the PA announcements and music than that. But at least they gave out thousands of green wigs and inflateable clap sticks (!?). :rolleyes

Guinness Girls

The worst ever was/is the Leinster rugby at Donnybrook where we were "entertained" by the Giunness Girls ...good grief

Ears in ribbons ...........

Surely the cash spent on George "The Wailer" Murphy and those inflatable litter creating thingys would be better spent on the Development of the game and not the development of headaches for people...............

Re: dj

The dam volume is far 2 high, u can't talk to the person beside u when the music is on.
BYTW wasn't it gerry and the pasemakers that had the hit with that greatest of soccer songs- You'll Never Walk Alone .

> BYTW wasn't it gerry and the pasemakers that had the hit with that greatest of soccer songs- You'll Never Walk Alone .

Yeah - I stand corrected. Can't see what the link between this Scouse anthem and the Irish team is though either... :\

Totally agree with the original post. He's the most drivelling gobshite I've ever heard and has the same claptrap in every game. That George Murphy is a disaster too. It took him about an hour to sing two verses of the Rare Aul Times. Talk about murdering a song !
BTW <blank> you seem to know too much about the songs and drivell from last Saturday. You sure you weren't there ?

Re: Scouse anthem

I presume it is the fact that Liverpool played is so many finals and won so much that everyone came to associate it with football+ it is a dam good song.

> BTW <blank> you seem to know too much about the songs and drivell from last Saturday. You sure you weren't there ?

The day I can't keep track of my own peregrinations is the day I check myself into the Alzheimer's clinic - if I can remember where it is. I was definitely not there. I just caught the pre-match "entertainment" on RTE Radio 1 (which drowned out most of what the presenters and Paul Doolin/Eamon Collins had to say) and NET2 (RTE2?) TV. What was the story with the c. 10 minutes of pre match formalities as well? Load of This post will be deleted if not edited to remove bad language if you ask me.

What was the story with the c. 10 minutes of pre match formalities as well? Load of This post will be deleted if not edited to remove bad language if you ask me.
Yep, another load of bull. I don't ever remember any other country introducing the President or PM before an international qualifier. The DJ was at his Mexican Wave crap at halftime as well. Does he get a bonus everytime he mentions Eircon ?

The worst ever was/is the Leinster rugby at Donnybrook where we were "entertained" by the Giunness Girls ...good grief

was too busy stuck in to me burger from the barbq and drinkin beer in the sunshine to notice them yesterday! Great pre match entertainment at donnybrook on sunday, great atmosphere (pre match!)

Back