Landlord's Apartment Public Liability Insurance

Pmc365

I own and rent out an apartment. Is it necessary for me to obtain separate public liability insurance should the tenant or their visitor for instance trip and injure themselves and sue for negligence? I had in the past taken out contents insurance as they said it covered public liability. But when I enquired further they said this would not cover a trip and fall claim as the floor coverings were not fixtures and fittings. I had assumed the apartment block policy did not cover public liability within the confines of the apartments.

Your apartment block insurance should cover this. You can ask for a copy of the policy to confirm. The management company should have no problem forwarding this to you.

I see this was dealt with earlier. It appears apartment block insurance may not be enough to cover a landlord's public liability indemnity:

"If your property is insured under a block policy ie an apartment this policy will only cover liability arising from accidents in common areas ie the hall, stairs and landing. It will not cover accidents occurring inside the apartment. For liability cover to apply inside the apartment you must have content insurance but check that it covers liability to the Tenant as well as third parties (visitors, workmen etc.)
From: http://www.irishlandlord.com/index.aspx?page=infocentre_article_view&id=6"

I posted a similar query a few years back and got some helpful replies.

I've kept it insured with Allianz since, €86 per year

Back