Landlord wants to switch to Prepay utilitys

dosco

Landlord wants to switch to Prepay utilitys in a house share.

What are the rights of tenants - Prepay would be un-workable & more expensive.

That's an interesting question. I think the tenants would have the right to decide on who provides the service. As in you pay for it so you should be the decision maker.

Something must be making him want to switch - what is the reason?

Last edited:
Agree with Bonte. Is the house properly registered? Are the utilities in the tenant name? If so I don't see why it is the business of the landlord unless particular issues, eg tenants have left not paying so utility supplier looking for a deposit to continue supply? Or are the utilities in the landlords name?

Ask your landlord why he wants to wants prepaid utilities.

Possibly a landlord who has a high turnover of tenants and wants to avoid having to transfer the named utility payer back and forth between himself and his out-going and in-coming tenants all the time.

If a landlord has a high turnover of tenants, the tenants must be leaving for a good reason!

Facetious it looks like a 'house share' so many people and maybe there is an issue getting money off each one. Prepaid I guess would solve that.

Agreed, Bronte; the joys of house sharing! Whenever I house shared, there were different housemates who had to take on the paying of utilities and the rent. Then one of them would leave, sometimes not paying their share. Occassionally, the one meant to be paying the bill just pocketed the money when he left and never paid the bill.

However, even with a pre-pay, I can still see one of the housemates is not gping to pay his share; or is that just the mistrust in me?

Back