Landlord/estate agent increasing rent 7mos after a rent review

jcadz02

Hi

I moved in with a friend recently after paying an extortionate admin fee to get my name on the lease. This agent has now issued an amended lease with my name included but has also increased the rent by 2%. He already issued a rent review last March of this year increasing the rent by 4%. He claims that because this is a "beginning a new tenancy", he is able to increase the rent again (calculate it based on the date the last rent was set) and bypass the 90day notice for rent increase. My friend has been a tenant in the same apartment for more than 10years so I don't understand his claims of "new tenancy". Are his claims valid? What's the best way to handle the situation?

This sounds more like an assignment of lease and not a new tenancy.

Assignment of lease is not grounds for an increase in rent above what is permitted. The increase frequency you have pointed to does not sound legal.

This sounds more like an assignment of lease and not a new tenancy.

Assignment of lease is not grounds for an increase in rent above what is permitted. The increase frequency you have pointed to does not sound legal.
This is correct. He/she is not entitled to raise the rent more than once in the designated period.

Back