Landlord claims that Tenant must pay Household Charge as its a lease condition?

Status
Not open for further replies.

gerprem08

Hi
My landlord is asking me to pay for a €100 "council tax".

I'm saying that this is the "household charge" & that this charge is his responsibility.

He is saying that in my lease agreement, there is a section stating that any future charges (water rates, levies, etc) are to be paid by me, the tenant.

Having had a look at the lease last night, there is a section saying just that, and that the charges can come from any "public authority".

Does this lease entitle him to ask me for the €100?

Thanks

I have never heard of a lease that has a section like this.

However you agreed to this by signing the lease.

I would tell your Landlord if he passes on the Household Charge that you will be leaving at the end of your lease period.

Let him try to find another tenent in the current market!

Has he asked you to send the money to him directly or to pay it yourself ? He is ultimately responsible for this payment to revenue, not you.

The tenant cannot register to pay the household charge...it must be the owner of the property....

I have been down this road with different councils, i have properties let under the RAS scheme but an told that due to the household charge being a tax not a rate the clause in the agreement refered to by gerprem08 does not apply as water refuse etc are rates not taxes.

Does this lease entitle him to ask me for the €100?

Have a look at Thresholds response to the Household charge here;

http://www.threshold.ie/

and from citizens advice
Household Charge

Last edited by a moderator:
A dangerous course of action unless the tenant actually wants to leave.

If I was the OP I would not let the Landlord bully me like this. There are plenty of good rental properties on the market. I would rather leave than put up with this.

Obviously the OP should not call the Landlord's bluff if they would rather stay.

However if the tenent agrees to a rent increase to cover the Household Charge, what will happen when the Household Charge becomes a full blown Property Tax?

It's likely that the Landlord will try to pass this on too!

Adhering to the explicit terms of a lease is hardly bullying!

Its utterly naive to expect in the long term that landlords will be shouldering the full property tax without passing this cost on to their tenants.

Tenants pay council and property taxes as a matter of course in other jurisdictions.

Adhering to the explicit terms of a lease is hardly bullying!

Okay! Maybe bullying is a bit much. However it is obvious that the OP feels hard done by. And yes they have to adhere to the terms of the the lease that they signed. They are free however to walk away from this property at the end of the lease agreement to find another property with a lease that has more favourable terms.

Its utterly naive to expect in the long term that landlords will be shouldering the full property tax without passing this cost on to their tenants.

It's obvious that landlords will eventually increase their rents by stleath over a course of time to absorb the cost of the Household Charge. However blatantly passing it on in full is only going to antagonise tenents.

Tenants pay council and property taxes as a matter of course in other jurisdictions.

What goes on in other jurisdications is irrelevant in this country.

Perhaps Landlords should consider passing on their income tax liability to tenants as well!

But seriously, I think Treshold's advice is worth considering.

It would be interesting to check with a lawyer on whether the lease could be enforceable under Irish law given there was no explicit amount specified in the original lease.

Just because there is a clause in a lease does not not make it legal.

for information from the ipoa website.

Still may not be legal. Just because it is in every lease agreement don't make it a sure thing. It is open to challenge.

Status
Not open for further replies.