Land deed registration - never had house deeds for family property - looking to have deeds formed

Landregisterinf

Hello all,
Apologies if this is in the wrong part of the forum - I looked at the housing section but couldn't see a relevant sub-forum and I believe it may be more of a legal matter.

Looking to find out how to form deeds for a property that has never had any.

My grandfather bought the property approx 1970 from the original owner in a 'handshake deal' and there were no deeds for the property when the deal was concluded and none formed thereafter as far as we are aware.
My Grandfather passed in 1991 and the property has been used by the family ever since. My Mother and Aunt have been in charge of the legal affairs of the house and are now keen to have deeds formed.
How would we go about doing this? I've been reading about the process of reconstitution - would that be relevant?

I'd appreciate any information about this,

Last edited:
Talk to a local solicitor.

They will check if the title is registered in the Property Registration Authority.

You could go onto their website and do a mapping search yourself- https://www.prai.ie/

96% of the land in Donegal is registered title

It is likely that an application as per link below can be made.

You will need a solicitor- it's not really something a lay person should try and do.

There may or may not be an old folio for the property from which title can be adduced.

mf

Talk to a local solicitor.

They will check if the title is registered in the Property Registration Authority.

You could go onto their website and do a mapping search yourself- https://www.prai.ie/

96% of the land in Donegal is registered title

It is likely that an application as per link below can be made.

You will need a solicitor- it's not really something a lay person should try and do.

There may or may not be an old folio for the property from which title can be adduced.

mf
Hi,

Thank you for the information.

I have found the property on https://www.prai.ie/ and it seems to be connected to a number of other properties in the area that I'm fairly certain are not my Grandfathers.

Is this likely the original owners (old) folio?

I have paid to have the folio and maps sent to me by email and I'm waiting for them now.

Is it advantageous to our application to know the folio details/number etc? Will it help us register it?

I will contact a solicitor; I'd like to be as informed about the process as possible before putting my money where my mouth is so to speak. I appreciate your advice and - forgive me for asking, but is there a ballpark figure for how much this kind of process would cost and how long it would take? Weeks? Months?... years? I'm really not familiar with legal process in Ireland.
Thanks again,

These applications can be very tricky - best to contact a local solicitor.

They will be best placed to give you a costing and a timeline once they examine the pertinent facts.

mf

These applications can be very tricky - best to contact a local solicitor.

They will be best placed to give you a costing and a timeline once they examine the pertinent facts.

mf

Thanks again - one last question - is there a specific type of lawyer I should get in touch with? Property law? Real estate law?

Thank you.

I'm in touch with the correct solicitors. For posterity I'll post a conclusion on this thread when I complete the process.

thank you both for your help.

Hi there. I know this discussion is a while back now but I'm in a similar position and desperate. Family home left to me and was never registered when bought. Solicitor has tried all avenues and have failed. Have proof that lease was bought out(this won't do) but not that the house was ever registered in grandfather's name. All documents/proof were in a box and taken in a burglary years ago. No other proof. Looks like Solicitor back in the day never registered the house.
Basically I can't sell the house. This has been going on forn2 years and €14000 solicitor fees later and still in the same position.

Did you get anywhere since you posted your posted your original message?
Thanks a lot

Basically I can't sell the house. This has been going on forn2 years and €14000 solicitor fees later and still in the same position.

Did you get anywhere since you posted your posted your original message?
Thanks a lot
€14000 in legal charges to deal unsuccessfully with a defective title??

Or was this figure inclusive of other work?

Unless I am missing something, this sounds like sufficient payment to get the job finished.

Back