Healthcare costs - not insurance Knee replacement consultant fees

ljsd

My OH needs a knee replacement and plans to have it in the Santry Sports clinic. Our VHI covers his hospital stay and 80% of the consultant fees for the procedure. Just trying to figure out what the consultant surgeons fee is likely to be? I presume we will have to pay the towards the anaesthetist as well.

Can't you ask the clinic?
Looking online I've seen prices from €4k up to €17k.

Santry sports clinic. The accommodation fee is covered it's just the consultants fee

Ring the secretary of the consultant and ask. No one here is going to be able to answer your question definitively.

Had a heart bypass and valve replacement last year in the Mater Private. VHI paid 38k to the hospital, 5k to the surgeon and 2k to the anaesthetist. (Fully covered.)
Imagine knee op fees similar or lower.
But, yeah, check with the consultant's secretary. I've heard anecdotally that prices are negotiable for people with the 80% coverage but I have no direct knowledge of this. Sounds plausible though. 80% of something is better than 100% of nothing. Consultant gets a good few bob for pre-op and post-op consultations too, at €300 a pop. Business finds a way!

Back