Kitchen knife set - how to choose

AndroidMan

I always had cheap knives, some broke over time, they all get blunt quickly etc.
I want to get a nice set of the standard 5 or six knife set.
There are so many choices in the likes of Argos.
How does one choose whst is good value vs quality etc? Any suggestions?

Buy quality and buy once. I’ve had a global 25cm chefs knife and a global utility knife for about the last 20 years. Occasionally sharpen using a steel and they are pretty much the only ones I use in my kitchen.

I got a good set in TK Maxx a number of years ago, they are in a block which I prefer as I do not like sharp knives in a drawer, there are five different knives and a sharpening tool which is so handy. They are still in excellent condition. TK Maxx often have good brands at a good price.

How much are you going to use them?

First off, I'd say don't spend 100+ on an individual knife unless you're going to look after it.

I do a good bit of cooking. Not as much as I'd like, but enough that I'd get annoyed with bad knives. I've a few expensive ones hidden in a drawer somewhere that I bought in a moment of madness, but my go-to knives are in a wooden block on the counter. It's a set of 5 knives from Richardson Sheffield. I've had them at least 10 years, and they're used daily. I think they might have originally been bought by collecting tokens with grocery shopping.

There's absolutely nothing wrong with the right knives in Argos, but go somewhere you can see the knives, and feel the shape and weight in your hands. For example I can't use some of the knives that my wife prefers because my hands are too big. And she hates my chef knife because it's too heavy.

And make sure you learn how to sharpen a knife properly if buying anything decent. It's very easy to ruin a good knife.

Nisbets sell a lot of stuff to the catering trade. Wide price range and some of the cheaper stuff might not look as nice as the ones that come in blocks in the shops, but likely works as well.

I like https://www.amazon.co.uk/s?keywords=Cutlery+Knives&rh=p_4%3ATramontina&c=ts (Tramontina) knives. https://www.amazon.co.uk/5-Pc-Magnetic-Knife-Block/dp/B08BJBD1QS/ref=sr_1_47?c=ts&dchild=1&keywords=Cutlery+Knives&qid=1595245119&refinements=p_4%3ATramontina&sr=8-47 (This set look ok). Maybe they're a cheap brand, I don't know.

I would advise against buying a whole set of knives as you’ll get a lot of stuff you won’t use or care for and you’ll spend big bucks for a good set.

You probably will need - a good chefs or cooks knife (20cm say), a good utility knife (small one) and a serrated bread knife.

for chefs knife I recommend trying global, wusthof or victorinox. Same for utility. I like global myself, great for slimmer hands. wusthof is meatier and better for like chopping a turnip or something.

for bread knife the victorinox one is really great, it’s about 30-35 euro on amazon for the nice rosewood handle. Less for the plastic handle. This is a change-your-life type knife if you cut bread much.

if you insist on a set, go victorinox if you’re going cheap.

you can buy a sharpening gadget later. It could actually be that the knives you have already just need sharpening also

I would recommend a magnetised wooden knife strip for storing them. Don’t put them in dishwasher or cutlery drawer.

After that you probably never need another knife.

Last edited:
Back