Kimmage Road, anyone any experiences of this area its near the Sundrive Shopping Cent

If the local pub you are referring to is the Stoneboat, I went in there last week for the first time as I was HANGING for a Guinness. Decent Guinness at 4.05 a pint. Everyone in there seemed to be having good craic. Not exactly Cafe en Seine but not rough either.

Re: Kimmage Road, anyone any experiences of this area its near the Sundrive Shopping

All of Lower Kimmage Road itself is D6W (no discussion, just plain is). But yes, you do pay for the post-code: when we were first buying, back in 2001, there was about a 20% premium for the D6W postcode over D12 for generally comparable properties in the area. I think that still more or less holds true.

The local being referred to is probably the KCR House - it's certainly the one I meant, anyway! - and there's nothing much wrong with it though it does have just a little of the piano-stops-playing-when-the-not-entirely-regulars-walk-in. Only there's no piano. Plus people wander in to sell An Phoblacht, which definitely makes me uncomfortable. Though, referring back to earlier posts, I've never in all the years I've lived in and known the locality either seen or heard of trouble outside it. Evidently Timmy's drive-throughs make him more au fait with the locality... [though actually, I've a theory that he's bidding on one of the houses and trying to minimise the competition :D;)].

All of Lower Kimmage Road itself is D6W

Are you sure? Some of the streets just off it have D6 street signs - fairly new ones, so not left over from when D6 & D6W (a.k.a. D26) split. The streets I'm talking about would be between Sundrive & KCR junctions.

Though it is not unknown for some residents in the area to paint a "W" on their street sign as they want to pretend they live in Terenure.

Re: Kimmage Road, anyone any experiences of this area its near the Sundrive Shopping

Are you sure? Some of the streets just off it have D6 street signs - fairly new ones, so not left over from when D6 & D6W (a.k.a. D26) split. The streets I'm talking about would be between Sundrive & KCR junctions.
Certain.

I don't know why the D6 signs, but the other half and I have a theory that those signs go up when a developer informs the council that of course he'll look after the signage, and then hopes to pocket a few extra bob if the punters believe a D6 postcode.

Though it is not unknown for some residents in the area to paint a "W" on their street sign as they want to pretend they live in Terenure.
There's no sensible reason for anyone to paint an untrue W after the 6, since 6 is resonant of the leafy elegance of the likes of Ranelagh, Rathgar and so on. And plenty of Terenure is in D6, too. I'd write it off to crazy anarchists trying to confuse the blow-ins and disrupt the postal service :p, or irritatingly officious types trying to correct the developers. Now, if you'll excuse me, I have to scrub some of that dried paint off my hands... ;)

I don't know why the D6 signs, but the other half and I have a theory that those signs go up when a developer informs the council that of course he'll look after the signage, and then hopes to pocket a few extra bob if the punters believe a D6 postcode.

I know people living on one of those streets who has a D6 sign on garden wall - put there by the council - and its a c.50 year old house, so not done by developers in recent years. I think their side boundary wall is the original boundary between Kimmage & Terenure. Their property is in Kimmage D6, their neighbours (different type of house in different devlopment, but also decades old) - is Terenure D6W.

Though An Post will deliver to either address with either postcode.

I know people living on one of those streets who has a D6 sign on garden wall - put there by the council - and its a c.50 year old house, so not done by developers in recent years.
Their address, no question about it, is D6W - the only reason there's a 6 on your friends' house is that the council never changed it. 6W didn't come into being until the mid-eighties - before that, it was all D6.

The eastern boundary of D6W runs just west of Harold's Cross road, up through Terenure - some history here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dublin_postal_districts

our new house in Kimmage road is d6 according to the post office. that was an unexpected bonus.

We live in Crumlin although it's only afew houses away from the Kimmage border it's really close to the KCR and is absolutley fine.

I've lived in Rathmines and Rathgar for the last ten years and this seemed like a very different area from the outside but it has been lovely. Not many kids hanging about on the street and any that are tend to be very young (so not really a worry).

Neighbours are great and even with doing lots of drive-bys before we bought we quickliy realised that you don't see 95% of the people who live there because most normal people don't spend their time hanging out on the street when you have a nice house & garden to enjoy.

I lived in Kim age for a number of years great location for going into town above supervalue not the best of areas and don’t walk alone in the parklands

This thread is 13 years old. The original poster has probably made up his mind by now.

Mind you, it would be interesting to hear how he/she got on...

Back