kids kicking football outside gate.

johnd

The kid across the street uses our gates as a goalpost. This drives my wife mad and she has told him time and again not to do so. He is 15 and before him his older brother did the same but he at least stopped when my wife went out one day and screamed at him. Today my wife went out in the car and saw the kid and mate in his garden and when she returned he was at our gate kicking ball across to his mate. She lost it and almost pinned him to the garden wall, she made a show of herselve and when I got home she was so upset at the way she had swore at him. We got a new porch unit recently and the football slams into it all the time. Any advice please?

Today my wife went out in the car and saw the kid and mate in his garden and when she returned he was at our gate kicking ball across to his mate. She lost it and almost pinned him to the garden wall
I hope you don't mean using the car!? :eek: Even if this was just a hand to hand engagement she should be careful as she could easily be done for assault!

Give the lads a chance to grow up. From what I know of kids the more they're asked to stop the more they'll continue. As ClubMan says an adult has to be very careful on how they deal with children, especially children that are not in thier care, aside from the law neighbours have fell out for less.

It was with the car! No, she did'nt hit him but was turning in as he went into garden to retrieve ball. He did almost fall into the bin though - so every cloud...

So - based on your original post she lost it and almost pinned him to the garden wall with the car ... deliberately? If that is the case then I suggest that she goes to anger management therapy as a matter of urgency before she harms somebody seriously! I am not joking.

Give the lads a chance to grow up. From what I know of kids the more they're asked to stop the more they'll continue. As ClubMan says an adult has to be very careful on how they deal with children, especially children that are not in thier care, aside from the law neighbours have fell out for less.

Problem is its been going on so long. He's 15 and his brother 19, he also has another one age 8 so looks set to continuefor another 10 yrs. I dont think my wife's sanity will last that long. You might say sell but we cant afford to take out a bigger mortgage.

So - based on your original post she lost it and almost pinned him to the garden wall with the car ... deliberately? If that is the case then I suggest that she goes to anger management therapy as a matter of urgency before she harms somebody seriously! I am not joking.

No ClubMan, Was not deliberate - she was turning in at the same time he was going in. where do they do anger management in Dublin? Can't find any classes in phone book.

I really feel sorry for you. Many outsiders will wonder what the problem is, they're just kids kicking ball into onion net etc...

However, I've been at the receiving end and it's like Chinese water torture. It was a strong contributory factor for us moving.

There's no real solution, apart from moving or murder, and by the sound of it your wife is close to the latter. (Stuff we tried included parking a car on the road to narrow the playing field, complaining to parents, confiscating the ball and actually joining in their game.)

Sorry Clubman,

My turn of phrase maybe. We live on a narrow road and to take a turn needs a sweep so when she drove in and almost pinned him, she lost it!

Know any basic english classes I could attend while she is attending the Anger Management ones? By the way where are those anger management classes in Dublin? Anyone know? ;)

I really feel sorry for you. Many outsiders will wonder what the problem is, they're just kids kicking ball into onion net etc...

However, I've been at the receiving end and it's like Chinese water torture. It was a strong contributory factor for us moving.

There's no real solution, apart from moving or murder, and by the sound of it your wife is close to the latter. (Stuff we tried included parking a car on the road to narrow the playing field, complaining to parents, confiscating the ball and actually joining in their game.)

Thank you Leghorn,
Nice to know someone understands what its like to have this daily.

johnd I can understand how annoying this is. Although the problem we have doesn't sound as bad as yours. It hasn't gotten to stage yet (and I hope it doesn't) where we're tearing our hair out. We have 2 new cars in the driveway and our main concern is the ball slamming into one of them. Why is it that these kids never kick a ball outside their own houses??:mad:

Has anyone spoke to the parents?
You can call the gardai. They did come several years back when complaints were made on our road. It stopped the football although it did take repeat visits by the guards
I think I would approach the parents first and then if nothing improves call the guards

The kid across the street uses our gates as a goalpost. This drives my wife mad and she has told him time and again not to do so. He is 15 and before him his older brother did the same but he at least stopped when my wife went out one day and screamed at him. Today my wife went out in the car and saw the kid and mate in his garden and when she returned he was at our gate kicking ball across to his mate. She lost it and almost pinned him to the garden wall, she made a show of herselve and when I got home she was so upset at the way she had swore at him. We got a new porch unit recently and the football slams into it all the time. Any advice please?

John,
From what I can gather, it's your wife who is doing all the running here and getting herself into a right state. No offence, but speaking as a lady myself (!), these lads couldn't care less what she says. Next time, why don't YOU go out and speak to them in a calm, controlled manner rather than see your wife get upset. Another suggestion, get yourself a football and start kicking at their wall when their parents are home, petty I know but...

I had the same problem at my last house. All the boys on our road insisted on using my gates as a goalpost. This went on for years and everytime i told them to move they'd move but come back again and again......
It got to the stage where being polite and ladylike went out the window. I screamed and shouted abusively at them, but they'd laugh at me, and sure enough come back again.
My boyfriend moved in and went out one night after we'd just about had enough and basically in a not so polite way went up to the lads who were about 16 yrs old, told them in a not so nice way that if they didn't remove themselves and the ball and stop playing at my gate that he would kill them! He warned them he was serious and that we'd had enough. They stopped. It was after i'd had this for 9 years. John i would recommend that you stand up to these lads and in a not so nice way tell them that if they don't remove themselves from your gate you are going to take matters a step further!

can you park your car outside the gates so the access won't be there for them, they'll soon find somewhere else

yes I have to agree, take something that is irritating and caused more than likely by the usual lack of facilities in this country and turn it into something extremely serious with death threats on teenagers and almost running over someone in a car. Is this thread serious? Does anybody remember growing up? If thats the type of advice being bandied around no wonder this country is the way it is..

was it for something similar that the guy in the UK was killed last week? Two 16 year olds if I remember, threathen to kill the wrong teenager and you bring the consequences on yourself..

John i would recommend that you stand up to these lads and in a not so nice way tell them that if they don't remove themselves from your gate you are going to take matters a step further!
You were lucky.

When I tried this, I was threatened with a brick through the window. As has been mentioned above, the consequences of retaliation could be much worse.

Does anybody remember growing up?
Yes, I certainly remember growing up. We wouldn't dare treat people like this.

Back