Key Post: Price of Petrol

M

Marion

Purchased petrol today @ 85.5c per litre.

Drove by the same station two hours later and noticed price had risen to 89.9c per litre.

Ouch!!!

This is the most expensive I've ever seen petrol in Ireland. Anybody know why it's risen by 5%. Inflation on the rise again !!!! The Celtic tiger has disappeared, however the price rises haven't. You can bet you bottom dollar that there'll be tax increases next year, unless the government borrow big time. Time to emigrate again ??????????????

Price of Petrol

Reason?

Crude oil increasing $2 a barrel
Conflict in Israel
Saddam Hussein putting a quota on Oil exports from Iraq

Take your pick !

Where is this 85c a litre? Try 92.7c a litre in most garages on the northside of Dublin today.

You could always emigrate to Dubai. Costs about €15 to fill the average tank out there I believe

Re: Price of Petrol

Hi Unleaded,

According to the [broken link removed] who are usually fairly knowledgable about these matters, a spokesperson is recently quoted as saying "rising international oil prices in the last month have caused the problem. The rise is a sharp one, but we cannot just blame international factors. 6.35 cent (5 old pence) was added to petrol duty in December's budget and we are stuck with that extra tax now on top of the price rise." :\

I have paid around 90p a litre for unleaded several times recently but found a Statoil filling station near Adare Co. Limerick today selling at 83.5p!

Hi Tommy,

If you happened to be travelling a little bit further south, you would find a couple of filling stations selling unleaded at around the 80c mark. ;)

Not in Kerry, I'm afraid. :( I'd imagine the cute Corkies are probably getting better value though :lol

petrol prices

Travelled from Dublin to Cork over the weekend and was amazed at the disparity of prices. The best was a Top Oil station near Ballyvolane at 81.4c per litre. The worst was a Texaco station in Kildare Town at an incredible 96.6c per litre!!! Over the whole journey it averaged out at about 87-89c per litre.

Re: petrol prices

Hi paulie,

I have travelled a good number of times between Dublin and Cork over the last few years and, like you, I am constantly taken aback by the wide disparity in prices.

Mitchelstown was usually a "cheap" spot but I have noticed in recent times that even here has got a bit more expensive (relatively speaking). :\

Tommy,
Most of us have heard about the cheap red diesel (usually with negative connotations!) but, obviously, you are well aware of the cheap <!--EZCODE BOLD START--> "red"<!--EZCODE BOLD END--> petrol also! ;)

Regards,
endowed

I read in the Irish Times during the week that there is a suspicion of a cartel in Castlebar. Apparently, on a particular day 7 out of ten retail stations were charging 92.9 cents per litre. The following day the same 7 stations had dropped the price to 91.9 cents per litre.

Marion :hat

Re: fuel prices

Interesting [broken link removed] in the Motors supplement of today's Irish Times about petrol prices and the variation of same around the country.

Friends First chief economist, the ubiquitous Jim Power reckons that prices at the pumps will drop over the coming months if OPEC manages to keep prices within their preferred range of $23 to $26 dollars a barrel.

For some reason, Cork still remains one of the cheapest places in the country to buy fuel . The owner of one particular outlet in Killeagh (Joe Deane country ;) ) was asked to explain how he could sell petrol (79.9c per litre) and diesel (71.9c p.l.) at such low prices and he said it's all a matter of volumes: "I'd prefer to be making a 3 per cent margin on €20, than a 7 per cent margin on nothing"

P.S. I don't have any connection with this filling station.

Petrol Prices

Cheapest I've seen in Dublin is 80.9c per litre at a Maxol Station in Harold Cross Area. They seem to be pretty responsive to changes and are nearly always the cheapest of the stations I would pass (which is a lot!). Next cheapest I've seen is 85c.

Fuel Prices in the west

Theres a serious discrepency in prices here in the west especially with diesal.
On my recent travels I found Carrick-on Shannon/Dublin RD, the most expensive
Cheapest was Galway Rd between Tuam and Claremorris
Sligo was vey dear as well especially Collooney
Longford roundabout was cheap as well

Difference of 14Cent per Litre between the most expensive and the cheapest
Unbelievable

Kelvin

Back