Key Post: Insulation

Hi,

I know several people who have had new houses built and their builders have refused to fit insulation between the ground and first floors, mine included. Does anyone know why this is the case? Has anyone been able to get it done and if so with what results for noise and heat insulation?

Insulation between ground floor and first floor

Sorry geegee,I didn't see your post earlier,thanks suellen for bringing it up again.
The reason why builders safe on insulation is money,nothing else.Any insulation between floors has a sound breaking effect.The heavier the material the better it's soundproofing quality .But putting in a heavy material between the beams means also increasing the weight and that demands a different static calculation-stronger beams for example,different method of holding the beams in place. For temperature insulation it is of course better to have a rooms sealing insulated.In multi story houses it is actually a legally binding rule to insulate between floors.A certain soundproofing has to be met as well as a certain temperature insulation.In the single family home the occupiers argue with each other about the noise("Son,turn that music down!..."),but in an apartment block they would want their money back from the seller....

Re: >>Insulation

Wow, Heinblod, what an amazing amount of advice contained there. I'll have to print it out and read it slowly to get it's full value!

A quick question (also to paddyirishman) how do you close a fireplace safely? Is it just a matter of putting a piece of wood over the fireplace to block it off? or is there any risk of problems starting off in the chimney?

What about the fire damper? What is it? Where do you get it? How is it installed and how much do they cost generally?

I fitted a two-inch thick piece of rigid polystyrene up into the chimney, with a 2-inch diameter hole cut in the centre of it to prevent condensation building up in the chimney flue and leading to damp problems.

Has cut down significantly on the chill in the room.

Make sure you leave a hole in whatever you use to block up the chimney - blocking it completely is a bad idea from a damp, as well as a ventilation, point of view. Oh, and remember to remove it if you want to light a fire some time!

A simple, straightforward and cheap method is to use a piece of corrugated cardboard (for example from a apple or banana box) and fix it to the outside of the open fire with some brown cheap packaging sticky tape. That would stop the drought and the ash and dust falling into the room. It would last for a season , rain and snow coming down the chimney will deterioate it and then it needs replacement. If you need the fire place no more because of central heating then consider to close the chimney at the top for good, or even demolish the entire structure to gain more space and a smaller heating bill and a cleaner house.

We're currently building a new house and have started to insulate the cavity walls with kingspan. We are also considering putting insulated plasterboard on the inside of the external walls but are not sure if this is necessary. Basically, we've been told by a friend that we should do one or the other but not both.. Any advice appreciated!

You should ask Kingspan to do an interstitial condensation risk analysis based on your proposed construction detail. They will be able to tell you what kind of u-value such a detail could achieve and with this information you can decide whether the drylining is worth it.

Re: Insulation - fireplace

Hi, regarding fireplaces and the use of a damper... is this the best solution for new house builds? Is the damper installed late in the build whenever the fireplace is being installed?

I'm not too bothered about an open fire but would like to have the option I suppose. Or would you recommend no chimney whatsoever if I'm happy enough with the central heating system (no open fire ever!). Thanks.

Re: Insulation

Heinbloed,

This is an excellent summary. Given though that its a couple of years old, would you change any of recommendations? If you were building a house now, how would insulate walls, floors, attic using what's available today?