Key Post: Current best value DVD recorder

Re: >>Current best value DVD recorder

'thehill' - I've been dreading that question! I feel I should 'give back' to the forum by way of critique but......I actually haven't put the machine through it's paces at all!

It arrived perfectly, not much of a wait. The only downside was that the instructions were in every language but English (I can read French and Dutch but reading instructions is bad enough in English, let alone a foreign language)... Then (tks to posters here) found the English language instructions but can't print them out as computer shuts downeachtime I download them. Poor excuse I know, but there you go!

So, have used the basic recording function but that's about it. What a waste!
When I get my act together will give a proper review.

thehill said:
I've just read this thread. It has everything, twists, turns, I didn't know what was going to happen next - it was as good as some of the novels I've read in the past few months !!

Ribena, I feel for you - I was that soldier !!

But one question Babydays ... maybe I missed it but did the machine actually arrive and how did it work out for you - I'm dying to get the next insallment !!!

This thread does twist and turn a bit.

I stick by my earlier recommendation of buying a name-brand machine such as the multi-region [broken link removed] from RicherSounds.ie for €350, [broken link removed] also from RicherSounds.ie for €220,SONY RDR-GX210S DVD recorder for €250 from Pixmania.com.

The no-name brands (Yamada, Ellion etc.) are cheap and have some useful features (DIVX playback etc.) but are not at all easy to use, some don't make good quality recordings and have very noisy mechanisms and may have long term build quality or reliability issues coupled with not-ideal remote support arrangements (especially if bought over the Net).

I would strongly advise saying a few extra squid and buying a decent brand.

MonsieurBond said:
I stick by my earlier recommendation of buying a name-brand machine such as the multi-region [broken link removed] from RicherSounds.ie for €350, [broken link removed] also from RicherSounds.ie for €220,SONY RDR-GX210S DVD recorder for €250 from Pixmania.com.

Komplett.ie are doing some LG DVD/HDD models starting with the [broken link removed] for €379 and going up to the LG RH-7900H DVD/HDD recorder Silver 160G ±R/RW DL "Time-Shift" DV-In 2xSCART HDMI for €569.

Back to the Sony RDR- HXD710 recorder

Perhaps podgerodge or Brendan as owners can respond. Can it do the following:

(1) I have a Sky box (NOT Sky +) but my subs has lapsed. Can this Sony 710 let me record one sky channel (eg. skynews) while taping another (eg. ITV2 or CEEBIES)

(2) Is it multi-regional or can it be hacked so (without invalidating the guarantee) ?

Is Pixmania still the cheaepest place to buy and should I steer away from the UK interent sellers ?

paul123 said:
(1) I have a Sky box (NOT Sky +) but my subs has lapsed. Can this Sony 710 let me record one sky channel (eg. skynews) while taping another (eg. ITV2 or CEEBIES)
(2) Is it multi-regional or can it be hacked so (without invalidating the guarantee) ?
Is Pixmania still the cheaepest place to buy and should I steer away from the UK interent sellers ?

1) I'm not sure I understand - do you mean record one channel with the Sony and TAPE another with a VHS recorder or do you mean record two programmes at the same time with the Sony? You can't record two programmes at the same time with the Sony - you would need a dual tuner. Either way, unless you have a dual tuner for the Sky only one digital signal can be recorded at any one time as far as I am aware.

2) There are 2 hacks available, both of which seem too tiresome for me to have tried ( I just have another multi region dvd player attached to the sony and tv). Here is the link if you want to try the options out:

http://www.videohelp.com/dvdhacks.php?dvdplayer=hx710&hits=50

3) My opinion on Pixmania has not changed - as I have never had bad service from them. Others have. The HX710 is a great deal on Pixmania for Eur440 considering the lower model is on sale in Dublin Sony centres for nearly Eur600 - with only a 80gig hard drive and no DV in. So, if I was purchasing again I would go to Pix again. But Brendan would probably disagree with me as he had problems with delivery for awhile.

The Sony 710 gets great in Pixmania. The 510 is super for me, the best feature being that it draws across the name of the programme you are taping for ease of reference. I would definitely go for a Hard Disk also, its a huge advantage.

Podgerodge

Apologies for the confusion, I should have asked :

I'd like to watch on Sky channel (eg Skynews) and record with the DVD Hard Drive another Sky channel (eg. ITV2 or CEEBIES)??
This is currently impossible with my VCR.

I am happy enough to just to record one programme at a time, as long as I can watch something else, and that something else also be a satalite channel.

ASAIK with all digital tv, you can only watch/record one channel at a time. You can record the irish boys through your aerial and watch the digital channels or vice versa but that's about it.

ribena said:
ASAIK with all digital tv, you can only watch/record one channel at a time. You can record the irish boys through your aerial and watch the digital channels or vice versa but that's about it.

Depends on whether the digital decoder box (digibox) has one or two tuners built in. In the UK market, two digital tuners is not uncommon. Unfortunately, we are a bit more limited in the Irish market, not helped by the lack of technical conformity between NTL and Chorus.

Thought I'd add this if anyone is considering a purchase in the next week or so:
Lidl are selling a 160 GB hard disc DVD recorder on Thursday 8th Dec for 300 euro
[broken link removed]

Think this is the spec: Targa DRH-5100x
http://www.targa.co.uk

C2H5OH said:
Thought I'd add this if anyone is considering a purchase in the next week or so:
Lidl are selling a 160 GB hard disc DVD recorder on Thursday 8th Dec for 300 euro
[broken link removed]

Think this is the spec: Targa DRH-5100x
http://www.targa.co.uk

The Philips DVD recorder (without hard disc, unfortunately) can now be had for €150, which is not bad. At this price, it's hardly worth buying a no-name cheapie brand, when you can have a well designed, easy to use product.

Felt I had to defend my Targa DRH 5100x.

Purchased my HDD DVD Recorder in Dec 05, hard drive became faulty in Jan 07. Just my luck, one month over the warranty I thought...

Not so, I discovered that this unit has a 3 year warranty.

With some trepidation I went to the hassle of sending the unit to an address in Kerry (Postage costs were refunded) and unit arrived back fully repaired after 4 weeks approx.

In the meantime I had to suffer on with my Philips DVD recorder (without HDD). Because of my experience with both of these units I would recommend to anyone to purchase a HDD unit only.

Also, in relation to the 'cheapie' Targa, apparently it's an LG OEM model. (the same as the setup, exit, 2 9 6 0 model.)

I have a targa too which I bought in 05 never had a problem with it.

Bought the Pioneer DVR540 from Richer Sounds recently and it's a dream :)

Not even sure if that model is widely available any more (needless to say a newer one has been released) but I'd highly recommend it if you can find it. Picture quality, ease of use, etc, couldn't be better, and Guideplus is brilliant, even (finally) managed to get it working for RTE1 and RTE2.

I suppose you'd all kill me if I asked for recommendationss for a foolproof DVD recorder with HDD. And I don't want some no-name Aldi or Lidl yoke, thank you very much. The above posts would probably have me back at Square One. I know nothing about DVD recorders. Thanks.

And why is this one so much dearer?

Because it is a newer model which has HDMI and some other features such as Chasing Playback which is useful.

A pity it doesn't have DIVX support like the cheaper model. :(

If you don't have a HDMI or DVI input on your TV (and aren't buying a new TV soon) then you might be better off with the cheaper one.

[broken link removed]

Has anyone tried this - seems a great alternative to buying an expensive DVD with hdd.

Back