Key Post: Bread Makers

The other issue apart from cost to consider is that when you make your own at least you know whats in it. I recently bought bread from one of the supermarket instore bakeries and was horrified when I looked at the label. Has anyone noticed the amount of additives they are putting in bread these days? Bread is not intended to last, yet one of these lasts for ages - there's something wrong somewhere!

Does anyone know where (in Dublin) to get strong wholemeal flour? Strong white is easy enough to find but local Superquinn doesn't have strong wholemeal and neither do online SQ or Tesco. Thanks.

Does anyone know where (in Dublin) to get strong wholemeal flour? Strong white is easy enough to find but local Superquinn doesn't have strong wholemeal and neither do online SQ or Tesco. Thanks.

I got chapati flour (medium wholemeal) in Asian\Indian stores easily enough. They might have strong flour, I'll take a look next time I'm in. Eastern European stores could be worth a look as well.

Hi there
Dunnes carry strong wholemeal and costs 1.80 for a 2kg bag.Its Odlums in a purple bag.You should also check a local health food shop.There is one near me and sells organic strong wholemeal for 1.99.They also sell granary for 1.99 and the local supervalue sell the hovis granary for 2.15.
And of course like the previous posts ,going up north is much much cheaper!Also check a health food shop for the dried yeast! I got it for 5.99 for 500g's and the chain price for the Macdougalls is 2.74 for a 8x7gs.

Hi

I got my bread maker in Lidl, its brilliant. Cost about €40. Haven't bought bread since. I have experimented with lots of flours and love adding nuts dried fruit etc. Made a sort of Maltana with malt extract, sultanas and brown sugar mmmmmmmmmmm

So I bought one of those in lidl for 35e, couldnt say no at that price, think someone had returned it but it was unused. Ive been using all-purpose shamrock wheat flour (usual white bag stuff) and have tried a whole wheat one as well with some nuts and raisins that was ok. Mostly alright results but the texture of the bread is coming out almost akin to a madeira cake thick and a bit sweet(bit like meself, wha?). Id like to get a lighter bread but Im supposed to use actual "bread flour" for. Anyone know where I can get "bread flour"? none of the local shops/supermarkets seem to stock it.

Hi car
Bread flour is also know as strong flour.
Odlums make it in yellow and orange bag.Tesco,Dunnes,Supervalue all sell it.If you use that you shouldnt get the cake texture. You can mix with wholemeal/wheat flour for a browner bread.
Good luck

Is there much cleaning involved with the breadmaker after using it??

Before buying a breadmaker remember it makes the list of the top 10 most unused gadgets which is:
electric grill
coffee machine
sandwich toaster
juicer
electronic bathroom weighing scales
electric slow cooker
bread maker
VOIP
electric steamer
de-humidifier.

WHICH's Best Buy Bread Makers are...
Panasonic SD-253
Panasonic SD-252
Russell Hobbs Breadman Junior 10882
Russell Hobbs Stainless steel fastbake 48268

Oh Oh..........I can say yes to 5 of that lsit already before I even think of buying a breadmaker!

Well we're all different. After our kettle and juicer (used daily) our breadmaker is our MOST used gadget. I haven't bought a loaf of bread in 11 years - except when on holiday. Most of our friends and visitors have gone home and bought one too after tasting our bread and seeing it made. Our present model is a Morphy Richards stainless steel and about 5 years old. Newer models are much quicker so I'm looking forward to it breaking down.

Joe Nonety,

I also disagree with your list - specifically number 2 and 5.

I'd say that my coffee machine is the most used gadget in my house. No 5 is also put to good use daily!

Marion

I've got a Lidl breadmaker too, its great! gets occasional use. Depends on the humour

We've had one for years. Initial enthusiasm gave way to occasional use. My biggest gripe is that strong white flour is not necessarily the best for the stomach - we have two coeliacs in our extended family and we ourselves (sinn féin?) find it difficult to digest. Tried mixing wholemeal flour with strong white flour - results in a denser loaf. Now use it with mixed flours and accept denser results or put it on the French bread cycle and add more fat - not better but better-tasting!

The Lidl machine is half the price of everything else. I hate paying over the odds for anything so if not urgent would watch the Lidl/Aldi offers until if comes round again.

Variety of loaf shapes is worth having......

We have a basic Morphy Richards model which cost €50 in a sale in DID. It is brilliant- and if you haven't used a breadmaker you'll be amazed at how simple it is to use. (And clean)> Best feature of all is the timer- we always set ours so that we wake to the smell of fresh baked bread and the 'keep warm' function means it's still warm for breakfast up to an hour later. Try arranging all that and doing it by hand...
PS it also makes jam.

Re: Running Costs of Breadmakers (or other kit)

I was researching bread makers when I came across this post. The maths in it are fine, but misleading.

The power rating on any appliance shows how much power it consumes when operating at maximum capacity. Using it to calculate actual consumption is a bit like measuring your car's fuel consumption based on a fully loaded car running continuously at maximum speed.

It's unlikely that the actual consumption will be anything like the figures quoted.