Key Post: Are Eircom Dialup Internet conning us all?

Re: eircom

Thanks split - that's the most detailed explanation of the "splitting" issue that I've seen here to date. Does this splitting have a perceptable detrimental effect on the quality of voice traffic - e.g. is there less than the normal bandwidth available for voice traffic and/or do such lines suffer more from crossed lines, feedback etc.? How is data bandwidth affected - is it a simple case of two way splitting halving it or is it, as I suspect, more involved than that?

re: splitter

>>Does this splitting have a perceptable detrimental effect on the quality of voice traffic<<

voice traffic would be ok, but there is a considerable detrimental effect on data/internet connection speeds above 28k, which is as good as it gets under the carrier/pair gain systems.

basically, u have a 64k channel muxed down to facilitate at least two connexions, which meanz the max data speed for each of 32k, most likely 28k when overhead is taken into account.

for info on pair gain, see here "[broken link removed]

just substitute eircom for Telstra......

Re: re: splitter

Any idea how prevalent the use of this approach to "splitting" lines by eircom is? Would this be something that Comreg would be interested in as seems to have been the case, judging by the article referenced abovt, with Telstra and the Australian telecommunications regulators?

over 10% of all lines in Ireland are split

And its up to 50% in certain rural areas . The local engineer showed me a report on it a year back.

The worst hound of a splitter I ever saw was in Tipp . Eircom had 16 lines hanging off it and each was able to get PRECISELY 12k speed for internet, no more and no less .

They all pay the top whack line rental for this pice of crap though :(

Back