"Just because Brussels gives me a mandate to stop the rain..."

Is Boris sure to get onto the ballot? I know he is very popular with the party membership.
But looking at the rules it seems to be Conservative MPs that whittle down the contenders to 2, and then the party membership vote on that ballot.

Is Boris sure to get onto the ballot? I know he is very popular with the party membership.
But looking at the rules it seems to be Conservative MPs that whittle down the contenders to 2, and then the party membership vote on that ballot.

He splits the parliamentary party but I think has enough support to be one of the two - even those who might prefer other hard Brexit types, he'll be seen as massively popular with the rest of the party and therefore "very electable". And someone who can take on Farage. This is their problem - they will analyse it as having to reclaim Brexit party voters. But if they go after that group, they will lose traditional "one nation" conservative support.

Absolute mess

It doesn't matter what the conservatives do. They have made themselves unelectable for at least a generation. I'd say the SNP would have a better chance of winning a majority in England right now if they ran candidates.

BJ, in my opinion, would be another self-inflicted blow on the Tories.
The man is a rabble-rouser. He is good fun, witty, intelligent, engaging. He is not however a deal-maker, nor someone who carries broad consensus to get political deals done.
Worst of all, he was very late in the game for Brexit. In terms of stature amongst the brexiteer support base, Farage stands head and shoulders above.

Back