Junior cert exam through irish - can the student request both irish and english paper on the day of the exam

geri

As the title says can the student request the English and Irish paper in the junior cert exam for all subjects in the examination hall( except irish of course) . But answer on the Irish paper in Irish. Thanks all.

Many years ago when I was in school, the rumours were that there was a 10% bonus for answering a paper in Irish. A Few chancers wondered if Maths could be done though Irish, using the English version of the paper that's also supplied and hoping that all the answers would be numbers. I don't recall of anyone going ahead with that scheme.

My son is in an irish secondary school and will be doing every exam through irish. He is fluent in irish although it's not his first language. What he sees in going through past papers is that in some cases there may be an obscure term or phrase in the irish language question that he may not be certain. It would be helpful on the day if he could confirm it by referring to the English language paper in that instance.

Last edited:
Back